Jo and Sarah answer real questions from readers: to put your query, go to beautybible.com
Q A beauty therapist recommended and then carried out electrolysis treatment to remove some hairs around my mouth. As a result I am left with small holes, which are quite visible. She told me they would heal and return to normal but after a year they are still quite obvious. Is there anything that could help?
A That is distressing and we sympathise. According to consultant dermatologist Dr Nick Lowe of the Cranley Clinic (cranleyclinic.com) in London, ‘this is a big problem with electrolysis. We [dermatologists] often see tiny little punched out scars, medically called pinhead atrophic scars, which may occur early on or sometimes years later. Although they are small, they can be quite deep.’
The reason, he explains is due to micro inflammation from the needle, which causes collagen damage and in some cases pigmentation problems. In coloured skins, it can cause hypopigmentation, ie lack of pigmentation.
Dr Lowe recommends consulting a dermatologist or a GP with a special interest in dermatology. For patients attending the Cranley Clinic, he has found that Fraxel laser treatment gives the best success for light olive to paler skins for this type of scarring as it tightens the skin round the scars, which shrinks the little scars. For darker skins, he would use Fractional Radio Frequency. Between two and five sessions are usually needed, depending on the number and depth of scars. Dr Lowe also prescribes tretinoin, a form of vitamin A, to help maintain the collagen support and keep the scars minimized.
Dr Lowe does not recommend chemical peels or micro needling to correct pinhead scars. ‘You have to be able to go in more deeply and input energy to tighten collagen and stimulate new collagen.’ There is more information on scarring on cranleyclinic.com.
Finally, Dr Lowe recommends being sure of the skills of the therapist who treats you. Ask for credentials and experience. Anyone doing electrolysis should be a member of the British Institute & Association of Electrolysis, electrolysis.co.uk.
Beauty Bible loves… YOU Beauty Advent Calendar, £60 + £3.95 P&P. Friends, relations, goddaughters, colleagues: click away now.
We don’t want to spoil your Christmas surprises!
There are some recipients who tell us this is without question the best pressie they get
For the past few years, the YOU Beauty Advent Calendar (curated by box geniuses Latest in Beauty) has been our go-to gift for many of our friends and family. There are some recipients who tell us this is without question the best pressie they get – and they look forward to it all year. (One other big advantage as far as we’re concerned is that these presents are handed over before the end of November – so they can indeed be opened during advent – which takes some of the last-minute gift pressure off.)
So: file under ‘if it ain’t broke…’ Thus we will be dispensing these again to our most special nearest and dear ones – and for Christmas 2017, we think the contents are more exciting than ever. Here’s what you’ll find:
• Makeup Revolution PRO Looks Palette in Stripped & Bare
• Ciaté Travel Size Wonderwand Gel Kohl Liner
• Look Good Feel Better Angled Blending Brush
• Browcote Waterproof Brow Sealer
• NIP+FAB Travel Palette Light/Medium
• Leighton Denny Nail Polish in Vixen
• Kitsch Teardrop Bobby Pins
• Charles Worthington Moisture Seal Takeaway Shampoo and Conditioner
• Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray
• Moroccanoil Intense Hydrating Mask
• Bare minerals SKINLONGEVITY® Vital Power Infusion
• Rodial Dragon’s Blood Eye Mask
• Dr Organic Snail Gel Eye Serum
• Gatineau Gentle Silk Cleanser
• Sportfx Makeup Setting Mist
• Sukin Hydrating Mist Toner Spray
• REN Keep Young & Beautiful Instant Firming Beauty Shot
• The Organic Pharmacy Lip and Eye Cream
• Monuskin Illuminating Primer SPF15
• Skinfix Hand Repair Cream
• ESPA Restorative Body Oil
• Janina Ultra White Activated Charcoal Whitening Toothpaste
• This works deep sleep pillow spray
• The White Company Cassis Mini Home Spray
What can we add…? Every window equals a Brownie point for the giver…!
For more information follow Beauty Bible online here or on Facebook and Twitter