Black cab rapist John Worboys (pictured) is set to live in a seaside flat worth more than £300,000 following his release from jail
Black cab rapist John Worboys is set to live in a seaside flat worth more than £300,000 following his release from jail – and not far from four of his victims.
Worboys, 60, was jailed indefinitely in 2008, with a minimum term of eight years, for drugging and sexually assaulting female passengers.
It emerged last week that he would be freed nine years after his imprisonment, prompting outrage.
Now, residents of Park Pine Mansions in Poole, Dorset, are worried he will return live in the flat he owns there – where he previously starred in pornographic films with a friend.
The tenants of the flat, a man with a teenage daughter, left last week after discovering Worboys owned it, according to the Mirror.
It means Worboys, who could be banned from living in London under his parole terms, could return to live there – just two miles from Bournemouth, where he is feared to have targeted at least four women while working as a cab driver.
Residents of Park Pine Mansions (above) in Poole are worried he will return live in his flat
Worboys is believed to have owned a number of properties across London and had more than £80,000 in two bank accounts when he was jailed.
‘It’s disgusting that after conning the justice system into letting him walk he is able to cling on to so many of his assets,’ a source told The Sunday Mirror.
‘People will believe Worboys is going to be released and will live in a hovel.’
The source said: ‘The reality is he’s a wealthy man who will live in the lap of luxury — just miles from his alleged victims. Many of them are terrified at the fact he is set to return.’
It is understood Worboys’ licence conditions have not yet been finalised and victims will have a chance to give their views to the Parole Board on suitable conditions before his release.
Worboys (above) was jailed indefinitely in 2008, with a minimum term of eight years, for drugging and sexually assaulting female passengers
The tenants of Worboys’ flat, a man with a teenage daughter, left last week after discovering he owned it
He was convicted of 19 offences relating to 12 victims but is suspected of being one of the country’s most prolific sex offenders after he was linked to 102 complaints in total.
However, he was assessed to no longer be a danger to the public by a panel of three people.
Following the decision to release him questions were raised as to why all of the complainants who came forward had not seen their cases brought to trial.
There were also criticisms over a failure to inform some victims of his planned release.
The women, who were attacked between 2002 and 2008, heard about it in media reports.
But now, Justice Secretary David Gauke is taking the Parole Board to judicial review over the decision to free Worboys.
Mr Gauke faced pressure from cabinet colleagues to bring the matter to a review – the only way to reverse the board’s decision.
A Ministry of Justice spokesman said: ‘Mr Gauke commissioned, mid-last week, advice on the plausibility of a judicial review and the prospect of success of any judicial review.
‘The Secretary of State is minded to move forward only if there was a reasonable prospect of success.’
Worboys is also understood to have changed his name to John Radford, after the legendary Arsenal centre-forward.
Mr Radford, 70, who scored 149 goals for Arsenal in 481 appearances, told the Sun: ‘There is nothing I can do about it, is there?’