- Arran Maye could be scarred for life by a moustache tattoo he got in Benidorm
- 28-year-old was with 20 friends when he got the henna tattoo for fancy dress
- Paid £9 for ink but had an allergic reaction and was rushed into intensive care
A plumber could be scarred for life after he got a Mexican-style moustache tattooed on his face.
Arran Maye from Leicester was with 20 friends in Benidorm when he got the £9 henna tattoo so he could take part in a fancy dress competition.
But the 28-year-old suffered a severe allergic reaction and was left in agony and placed in intensive care as his face swelled up.
Arran Maye was with 20 friends in Benidorm when he got the £9 henna tattoo
The 28-year-old plumber form Leicester thought it would be good fun to get a semi-permanent tattoo
Arran’s body reacted to PPD, the chemical found in henna, causing his face to swell up
Mr Maye paid £9 for what he thought would be a semi-permanent tattoo.
But the plumbers face swelled up beyond recognition and he was rushed to intensive care as his airways shut down, after he reacted to PPD, the chemical found in henna.
He may now need a skin graft to remove the ink.
Mr Maye told The Sun: The bloke in the shop said it would wash off naturally in a few days, and I believed him.
Arran could now be scarred for life after his face was burnt by the henna used in the tattoo
On his return to the UK Arran spent two nights in intensive care in a hospital in Leicester
‘It was fine at first but then it got tingly. The next day it was blistering and, by the Sunday, my face was a balloon. It was like it was trying to push out the henna.
‘In hospital I was given a breathing mask. The doctors said I’ll have a scar for six months, exactly in the outline of the moustache.’
He added: ‘Now the lads at work think I’m a right numpty and will do until I get rid of this damned fake moustache.’