News, Culture & Society

Deadly spider hiding in Harry Potter costume bit boy, 7

  • A young boy was bitten by a deadly spider while he was playing dress ups
  • The seven-year-old felt something sharp when he put on his costume in NSW
  • The boy was rushed to hospital where he was treated with an anti-venom  

A deadly spider hiding in a Harry Potter costume bit a young boy while he was playing dress ups. 

Seven-year-old Riley Schmidt was bitten by a funnel web spider earlier this week at a Southern Highlands house.

The school boy felt something sharp when he put his costume on, leaving him with a bitten finger, according to Sydney Morning Herald. 

Deadly funnel web spider hiding in a Harry Potter costume bit a seven-year-old boy (pictured)

Seven-year-old Riley Schmidt (pictured with his mother Kayla) felt something sharp as the spider bit his finger when he was putting on his dress up costume earlier this week 

Seven-year-old Riley Schmidt (pictured with his mother Kayla) felt something sharp as the spider bit his finger when he was putting on his dress up costume earlier this week 

After showing his parents the bite, they wrapped his hand in a compression bandage, caught the spider and called an ambulance.

‘It started with his fingers and then the rest of his hand started to swell as well,’ his mother Kayla told the publication.

The young boy was rushed to Bowral and District Hospital before being transferred to Randwick Children’s Hospital. 

Doctors, who were impressed by the quick thinking parents first aid skills, gave the seven-year-old anti-venom, taking about ten minutes to work. 

The spider was taken to Taronga Zoo where it will be then transferred to a reptile park in Gosford to have its venom milked to create anti-venom.

While funnel web spiders are common in houses across the east coast of Australia, they are hardly seen. 

Being bitten by the deadly spider can lead to someone experiencing nausea, sweating and muscle cramps. 

If someone is bitten by the venomous spider, people are advised to apply pressure to the area and seek medical assistance.

The young boy was rushed to Bowral and District Hospital before being transferred to Randwick Children's Hospital (pictured) where he was treated with anti-venom

The young boy was rushed to Bowral and District Hospital before being transferred to Randwick Children’s Hospital (pictured) where he was treated with anti-venom

His parents caught the spider in a container which was then taken to Taronga Zoo (pictured) where it will be transferred to a reptile park to have its venom milked to create anti-venom

His parents caught the spider in a container which was then taken to Taronga Zoo (pictured) where it will be transferred to a reptile park to have its venom milked to create anti-venom



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Do you like it? Share with your friends!


Comments are closed.