News, Culture & Society

Denishar Woods brain dead after being electrocuted by tap

A Perth girl who suffered a severe electric shock from a garden tap at her family’s public housing property is unlikely to recover. 

Denishar Woods, 11, remains at the Princess Margaret Hospital’s intensive care unit after touching the tap at the Beldon property on Saturday night.

Tests on Friday morning confirmed that Denishar’s catastrophic injuries have resulted in brain death, the Sydney Morning Herald reported. 

  

 Denishar Woods opened her eyes for the first time on Thursday afternoon after spending five days on life support 

The 11-year-old received a horrific electric shock in her yard in front of her mother who also got shocked helping her 

The 11-year-old received a horrific electric shock in her yard in front of her mother who also got shocked helping her 

Earlier in the week, doctors informed her family she had sustained brain damage.

Michael Bunko, a director at WA’s electricity regulator, believed the tragedy was likely caused by a fault in the neutral conductor supplying power to the property.

While the incident was still being investigated, lawyers said the state government faced a potential multi-million dollar claim.

Premier Mark McGowan said it was too early to comment on that prospect.

‘Those sorts of calls will be made in due course,’ Mr McGowan told reporters on Thursday.

‘At the moment, we just want to support the little girl and the family.’

Energy officials said the cause of the electrical shock was likely due to the circuit breaks which effectively caused the electrical current to find another route back to the source, in this case the metal tap

Energy officials said the cause of the electrical shock was likely due to the circuit breaks which effectively caused the electrical current to find another route back to the source, in this case the metal tap

'It's not home, it's evil, I don't want to be here, it's traumatising,' Lacey Harrison told media when she returned to the home. The family have been staying with friends since the incident

‘It’s not home, it’s evil, I don’t want to be here, it’s traumatising,’ Lacey Harrison told media when she returned to the home. The family have been staying with friends since the incident

Denishar’s mother said she and her other six children were now scared to touch light switches or metal objects.

 Lacey Harrison, said she had been staying with friends since the tragic accident as she has found it painful to return home. 

‘It’s not home, it’s evil, I don’t want to be here, it’s traumatising,’ she told 9News.

‘I should be laying there not her.’  

A spokesman for Housing Minister Peter Tinley said Ms Harrison had expressed interest in moving house.

‘The Department has reserved a five-bedroom property for Ms Harrison and her family,’ he said.

‘Ms Harrison has advised she would like to consider the property and the Department will continue to talk to her regarding her options.’

The family was offered short-term motel accommodation, but were instead staying with relatives.

A GoFundMe crowdfunding campaign was launched to help the family.  

Housing minister Peter Tinley made the worrying statement that this type of incident could happen again as energy officials checked out the houses circuit breakers and meter box

Housing minister Peter Tinley made the worrying statement that this type of incident could happen again as energy officials checked out the houses circuit breakers and meter box



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.