News, Culture & Society

Exhausted mother, 36, says she has been ‘living on a building site’ for six months

Exhausted mother, 36, says she has been ‘living on a building site’ for six months after workmen set up diggers, cranes and cement mixers just yards from her home

  • Rachel Cannon, who lives with daughter Nyah, said conditions are ‘horrendous’ 
  • Firm is turning a derelict building into 14 new apartments in Nottinghamshire 
  • Hockley Developments say that they offered her £500 as form of compensation
  • But the mother says that this has not materialised and that the work continues 

An exhausted mother said she’s endured more than six months of living on a building site after workmen set up diggers, cranes and cement mixers metres from her home.

Rachel Cannon from Basford, Nottinghamshire, has described the scenes outside her home, which she shares with six-year-old daughter Nyah, as ‘horrendous.’

Pulling back her bedroom curtains, she is faced with up to five workmen on her doorstep as they transform a disused factory into apartments.

The 36-year-old says her fence was broken and her car damaged at the dust-covered site.

The parent has complained of 'horrendous' conditions outside her home in Nottinghamshire

Rachel Cannon says that the building project outside her home (pictured, left, workers at the site) has left her exhausted (right, a crane on her doorstep

‘I have had cement mixers outside, I have had to climb over my fence to get out of my house,’ she said. ‘It is so dangerous. 

‘I have been living on a building site for six months. They have called it unavoidable building work but it is horrendous, and it is still going on today. I can’t bring my daughter home because of the mess.’

She said that the company offered her compensation for the inconvenience but claims it has not materialised.

Land owners Hockley Developments said the work is being carried out by a contractor after planning permission was granted to convert a run-down building into 14 new apartments.

Ms Cannon says that the works outside her home (pictured) has been going on for the last six months to the detriment of her and her daughter's quality of life

Ms Cannon says that the works outside her home (pictured) has been going on for the last six months to the detriment of her and her daughter's quality of life

Ms Cannon says that the works outside her home (pictured) has been going on for the last six months to the detriment of her and her daughter’s quality of life 

The company based in Nottingham said the development has monthly checks from building control.

Josh Woolley, customer service manager for the company, said: ‘Clearly when any site is developed there is potentially noise during the site hours of 8am to 4.30pm on Monday to Friday.

‘No works take place at the weekends or evenings. Whilst most of the neighbours near this particular development are very pleased with the transformation of this warehouse into new residential space, we are aware Miss Cannon has not been happy about the noise.

‘We are aware that her car was damaged and the contractor paid for this to be fixed at her chosen garage and they apologised to her directly for the damage.

‘Both our contracts manager and myself have spoken to her at length as well over the last few months, and as a company we offered her £500 as a goodwill gesture towards the inconvenience caused by the conversion.

‘We will speak to Miss Cannon again, and we are sorry to hear that she is still unhappy. This development is only four months from completion and all further works are now internal, so noise should be minimised at the development.

‘We are confident that on completion, the transformation of this building will increase local house prices that previously looked onto a vacant, run down factory and now will see a new £500,000 development housing young professionals.’

 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.