Ever since Cara Delevingne and her bushy brows burst onto the scene, eyebrows have become big business.
Just like your hairstyle, the shape of your eyebrows can make or break your entire face.
And now, a Harley Street facial cosmetic surgeon has revealed the most desirable brow shapes – and they might surprise you.
His research found that Hollywood star Angelina Jolie has the S-shaped curved eyebrows which most women desire, while the Duchess of Cambridge’s flat brows were among the least wanted.
1. S-shaped curved eyebrows like Angelina Jolie’s are the most desired. Dr Julian De Silva said: ‘A truly beautiful brow, there is a slight dip at the inner corner and then the tail of the brow sweeps down towards the cheekbones, flattering defined cheeks. Angelina’s brows are a great example of this shape’. 2. Queen’s eyebrows like Kate Moss and Rihanna are the next most desired. Dr De Silva said: ‘Another gorgeously feminine shape – seen to perfect effect in Rihanna and Kate Moss. If you look at other stars such as Grace Kelly who had naturally very low brows you can see how Kate and Rihanna’s appearance benefits from having this gap’
Harley Street facial cosmetic surgeon Julian De Silva has identified the eight most common eyebrow shapes – from the naturally thick power-brows of Cara Delevingne, 25, and Keira Knightley, 32, to the pencil-thin brows of actress Charlize Theron, 42.
Most women want a gentle curve in their eyebrows like Tomb Raid star Jolie, 42, because they are viewed as the most feminine.
The second most popular shape are the eyebrows of Kate Moss, 43, and singer Rihanna, 29 – where there is a significant gap between the eyes and the brow.
The third most desired shape are the gentle arched brows of supermodel Gisele Bundchen, 37 – they are viewed as elegant and sophisticated.
3. Gentle arched eyebrows like Gisele Bundchen’s are third. Dr De Silva said: ‘Many women see this as the classic eyebrow shape – they ooze femininity and sophistication and perfectly suit Gisele’s rectangular face shape.’ 4. Steep arched eyebrows like Taylor Swift, Gwen Stefani and Beyoncé are fourth. Dr De Silva said: ‘This is probably the most distinctive brow shape of all and is also highly desirable. They start with a clear upward slope and then dip down at a sharp and elegant angle to create a beautifully defined arch’
5. Thick eyebrows like Cara Delevingne and Keira Knightley are fifth. Dr De Silva said: ‘Twenty years ago, thick eyebrows like Cara Delevingne’s and Keira Knightley’s would have required severe plucking such was the fashion for pencil thin brows. Thankfully, that trend has passed and these gorgeously full powerbrows have never been more fashionable. They look amazing and really make a woman stand out.’ 6. Round eyebrows like Julia Roberts and Jennifer Aniston came in seventh place. Dr De Silva said: ‘Round brows curve gently over the eye without creating a defined arch. They look good but are not as desired or distinctive as arched brows’
The fourth most wanted are the steep arched brows of Beyoncé, 36, Taylor Swift, 27, and Gwen Stefani, 48, which are striking and makes the face look distinctive.
THE MOST POPULAR BROWS
1. S-shaped curved brows – Angelina Jolie
2. Queen’s eyebrows – Kate Moss and Rihanna
3. Gentle arched brows – Gisele Bundchen
4. Steep arched brows – Beyoncé and Taylor Swift
5. Thick brows – Cara Delevingne and Keira Knightley
6. Round brows – Jennifer Aniston and Julia Roberts
7. Flat brows – Natalie Portman and Duchess of Cambridge.
8. Naturally thin brows – Charlize Theron
The fifth most desirable are the naturally thick eyebrows of supermodel Cara and actress Keira.
Female’s brows naturally lose their colour as they get older and the power-brow is said to help women look younger.
The least desired shape are the naturally thin brows of actress Charlize Theron, 42 – which hark back to the trend for over-plucked brows of the 1990s made famous by Pamela Anderson, 50.
Another shape which lacks character are the almost completely flat brows of the Duchess of Cambridge, 35, and Oscar-winning star Natalie Portman, 36.
The perfectly round brow shape of stars such as Julia Roberts, 50, and Jennifer Aniston, 48, is also said to lack character and is less elegant than brows with a curve or arch.
The research was conducted by Dr De Silva, from the Centre For Advanced Facial Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery in Hammersmith, West London, from looking at 1,000 female patient records from across the UK.
7. Flat eyebrows like the Duchess of Cambridge and Natalie Portman aren’t very desired. Dr De Silva said: ‘Flat brows tend to have little or no natural arch meaning they are often quite prominent. They tend to lie closer to the eye.’ 8. Naturally thin eyebrows like Charlize Theron are the least desired. Dr De Silva said: ‘These would have been considered a blessing 20 years ago but fashions change quickly and the power-brow is definitely more popular now’
POWER BROWS: THE EXPERT VIEW
Dr De Silva said: ‘Facial features such as lips and eyebrows stand out less as people get older and the colour in our brows naturally fades.
‘So it is no surprise that the powerbrows of stars such as Cara Delevingne have never been more popular.
‘However, in looking for the most beautiful feminine look, a slightly less extreme brow is what women covet most.
‘Angelina Jolie’s incredibly elegant S-shaped brows are the most popular shape with the Queen’s eyebrows of Rihanna and Kate Moss a close second.
‘Blepharoplasty, or eyelid surgery, has never been more popular and it remains the most popular form of facial cosmetic surgery ahead of facelifts and rhinoplasty (nosejobs). The eyes are the first centre of attention on meeting a new person and any small imbalance or asymmetry is readily seen.
‘One of the early signs of facial ageing are changes to the skin around the eyes including the appearance of saggy, overhanging eyelid skin.’
Dr De Silva said that men’s eyebrows naturally sat closer to the eyelid than women’s.
He said that the eyebrows naturally droop closer to the eyes as people age and many patients opt for a brow lift to increase the gap and maintain a youthful appearance.
‘Most patients who develop a droopy brow will notice these changes from their 30s onwards,’ he said. ‘Symmetry can be improved with a brow lifting procedure.’