A heartbroken family may never know what killed their superhero three-year-old daughter, who was found lifeless in bed by her twin sister.
Riely Wratten Jeffries’ parents desperately tried to save her after she was found unconscious at her Salford home, but it was too late.
A coroner said her death was the result of ‘unidentified natural causes’.
Riely Wratten Jeffries’ parents desperately tried to save her after she was found unconscious at her Salford home, but it was too late
The three-year-old’s mother Shanna Wratten was getting ready for work when Riely’s twin sister raised the alarm. Riely’s father attempted CPR as her mother rang 999.
Paramedics rushed to the house but she was pronounced dead at the scene.
Riely was taken to Salford Royal Hospital and an investigation was launched into her death. Examinations were carried out by both a paediatrician and a detective.
Shanna told an inquest into her daughter’s death that she had been to nursery the day before she was discovered unresponsive, on Friday March 10, and that ‘everything had been normal.’
She said Riely was ‘under the weather’ after returning home and didn’t want to eat her dinner.
The youngster also had a temperature, which her parents recorded as 38.5 C.
Riely’s parents gave her ibuprofen and cooled her down before putting her to bed.
The following morning, at around 6.45am, she was found unresponsive by her twin sister.
Riely was taken to Salford Royal Hospital and an investigation was launched into her death. Examinations were carried out by both a paediatrician and a detective
Mother Shanna said: ‘Although we only had her for three years, she gave us some wonderful memories which we will cherish for the rest of our lives.’
The hearing at Bolton Coroner’s Court was told Reily had a red rash on her skin when she was found.
Her parents said was not present when they put her to bed.
Doctors feared she may have had a meningococcal infection, which could have caused meningitis.
Pathologist Melanie Newbould said it appeared Riely had a suffered a ‘severe, rapidly on-setting infection’.
But a test for meningitis bacteria proved negative and the virus could be not be identified.
The medical cause of death was ‘unascertained’, Ms Newbould said.
Police confirmed there were no suspicious circumstances or third party involvement.
Assistant coroner Susan Duncan, recording a narrative conclusion, said Riely died ‘as the result of an unidentified natural cause of death’.
‘We have heard significant amount of evidence and it shows there was nothing out of the ordinary and this family were just following their normal daily routine,’ she added.
She told Riely’s parents: ‘This a very tragic loss of life and I appreciate how difficult it must be for you, hopefully this will help you get some closure.’
Speaking after the hearing on behalf of the family, Riely’s aunt Claire Hayes said: ‘Our baby Riely was a little shining light, who will never be forgotten.
‘But this just shows how fast an illness can take hold.’