All high school students will soon have to pass online tests in reading, writing and numeracy before they are eligible to receive their HSC
LITERACY EXAMPLE QUESTIONS:
1. Which word would best complete this sentence?
Adelaide is described as the city of many…?
A. Churche’s B. Church C. Churchs D. Churches
2. Which sentence uses correct grammar?
A. They sung the same song twice B. Is he the tallest of the two? C. She sent it to you and I D. He swims quite quickly
3. The supervisor wanted me to do some additional hours last weekend. Which of the following words is closest in meaning to additional?
A. Extra B. Most C. Some D. Total
4. Which word is not needed in this sentence? – A towbar is used to attach together a trailer to a car.
A. used B. attach C. together D. to
5. Which is the correct punctuation to complete this sentence?
A. ! B. ? C. : D. ;
Answers: 1. D 2. D 3. A 4. C 5. A
NUMERACY EXAMPLE QUESTIONS
1. Fred notices that it is a quarter to five in the afternoon. He tries to find this time on a train timetable which is written in 24-hour time. How would this time be written on the timetable?
A. 04.45 B. 05.25 C. 16.45 D. 16.75
2. A family has stopped at a petrol station to get petrol. The car’s tank is empty and its capacity is 42L. Petrol is 127.78c per litre at this petrol station and they want to fill their tank. What is the best approximate cost of filling up the car?
A. $48 B. $52 C. $60 D. $65
3. 15% of 1.5 tonnes =
A. 22.5kg B. 100KG C. 225kg D.1000kg
4. Which two temperatures are closest to each other?
A. -6C and -3C B. -2C and 3C C. 2C and 6C D. -3C and 3C
5. Stan scored an average of 80 marks for 3 tests. He scored 20 marks more for Science than for Maths. For History, he scored 5 marks less than for Maths. What was his Maths score?
A. 55 B. 60 C. 70 D. 75
Answers: 1. C 2. B 3. C 4. A 5. D
EXAMPLE WRITING QUESTION