News, Culture & Society

Man swallows 50p coin after his friends ‘put it in his beer for a joke’ 

Man, 29, accidentally swallows 50p and 20p coin after his friends put them in his beer for a joke

  • The man instantly regurgitated the smaller coin when he made himself vomit 
  • However, the 50p piece stayed inside him for at least ten weeks, doctors say
  • The bizarre tale in Hereford was published in the prestigious BMJ Case Reports 

A man accidentally swallowed a 50p and 20p coin after his friends put them in his beer for a joke.

The 29-year-old, who hasn’t been identified, almost instantly regurgitated the smaller coin when he made himself vomit.

However, the 50p piece, which are around 1inch-wide (2.5cm), stayed inside him for at least ten weeks, doctors have revealed.

The bizarre tale was published in the prestigious British Medical Journal Case Reports, which features an array of strange mishaps.

The man had become worried because he had yet to spot the 50p leave his body through his stools, the case report revealed

The man went to A&E at County Hospital Hereford two-and-a-half weeks after the incident, complaining of abdominal cramps.

He told doctors what had happened and revealed he regurgitated the 20p coin immediately after drinking it.

The man had become worried because he had yet to spot the 50p leave his body through his stools, the case report revealed.

Medical scans then confirmed the coin was still inside him.

Yih Chyn Phan and a team of medics conducted more scans, which confirmed the 50p coin was still in his stomach

Yih Chyn Phan and a team of medics conducted more scans, which confirmed the 50p coin was still in his stomach

ELDERLY WOMAN PERFORATES HER BOWEL AFTER SWALLOWING HER PACK OF TABLETS 

An elderly French woman perforated her bowel in four places after swallowing part of her blister pill pack, MailOnline reported last July.

The 72-year-old, who wasn’t named, had swallowed the casing of her allergy tablets two weeks prior to seeking medical help.

Surgeons were forced to remove 30cm of her bowel, after scans showed the sharp edges had pinched holes in her organ.

Blister pill packs, commonly used by drug firms, are usually presented in a plastic shell enclosed by an aluminium sheet.

Once divided, portions have sharp edges that ‘constitute a risk object if swallowed’, doctors wrote in the BMJ Case Reports.

Doctors told him to continue his normal diet and return to hospital a week later if he still hadn’t spotted the coin in his stools.

He visited again a week-and-a-half later, telling medics he had still been unable to observe the coin in his stools but his symptoms had dampened down.

Yih Chyn Phan and a team of medics conducted more scans, which confirmed the 50p coin was still in his stomach.

However, they discovered the coin had passed into his gastric mucosa – the medical term for stomach lining, which creates acid to break down food.

Writing in the journal, the medics said: ‘Coins are relatively small and have smooth edges. These normally pass through the pylorus and pass with the stool.

‘To the best of our knowledge, we report the first ever case of a coin migrating into the gastric mucosa.

The patient attended a follow-up appointment 10 weeks after initially swallowing the coins.

He decided to ‘watch and wait’ for the 50p piece to depart his body by itself. Doctors did not reveal how long it took for it to leave.

Surgeons revealed that the risk of complications from surgery were greater than the risks of leaving the coin inside his body.



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.