More than 500 people are evacuated after gas leak sensor goes off in a university science lab as hazmat teams are called in
- Over 500 people evacuated from Swinburne University’s Hawthorn campus
- Firefighters with hazmat equipment, police, and paramedics are on the scene
- The incident was sparked due to ‘gas depletion alert’ in the science laboratories
More than 500 people were evacuated from Swinburne University in Victoria following a suspected contamination at a science laboratory.
Metropolitan Fire Brigade crews were called to the University’s Hawthorn campus on Friday afternoon.
They were responding to a ‘gas depletion alert’ in the basement of the science and technology labs.
More than 500 people have been evacuated from Swinburne University in Victoria following a possible contamination at a science laboratory
Firefighters with hazmat suits, along with police and paramedics were called to the scene.
Traffic along John St and Burwood Rd was briefly disrupted due to the incident.
University spokesperson Julia Scott said that a ‘sensor fault’ was to blame for the alert.
‘The building has been given the all clear and students were allowed back in at about 3pm on Friday afternoon,’ she said.
Firefighters with hazmat suits, along with police and paramedics are on the scene (stock photo)