News, Culture & Society

Mother slams Asda sun cream after son’s ‘excruciating’ burns

A furious mother has said a sun cream from Asda should be recalled – after claiming her 10-year-old son suffered painful sunburn while wearing the factor 50 lotion.   

Nicola Hadley, 47, from West Bromwich, West Midlands, claims she used the Asda Protect Kids Factor 50 sun cream on her son Aaron Boyes earlier this month, as Britain basked in Mediterranean temperatures.

Nicola, who revealed photos of Aaron’s painful red, blistered skin, insisted she had regularly topped up his layer of sun cream on the day he got burnt, and said it was so severe his shoulder is scarred as a result. 

She is the second mother in as many weeks to accuse the Asda sun cream of failing to protect her child, after Karen Trett, from Milton Keynes, claimed her daughters were burned while wearing it on a family holiday to Mallorca.   

Asda said it had been in touch with Nicola directly, and was confident in the quality of its sun cream.  

Nicola claims her son’s shoulder has been left scarred

'He was in a lot of discomfort from the sun cream, and I want to advise others not to use this cream and to be careful in the sun,' the mother said

‘He was in a lot of discomfort from the sun cream, and I want to advise others not to use this cream and to be careful in the sun,’ the mother said

Speaking about the incident, Nicola said: ‘My son is not the first child that this has happened to, but I want him to be the last.

‘I put the sun cream on him for when he went to school and made sure that I topped it up when he came home, before he went into our swimming pool.

‘The next morning when he woke up before school was complaining that he was sore, and when I looked I could see that his back was blistering.

‘I had to make sure he kept out of the sun and covered him in a wet towel to stop him being in so much pain.

Aaron is seen with this mother Nicola, a stay-at-home mum, who claims she had applied the factor 50 sun cream to her son, but that he still got burnt

The furious mother claims her ten-year-old son has become the second victim of 'horrendous' burns allegedly caused by Asda's factor 50 sun cream (seen)

Aaron is seen with this mother Nicola, a stay-at-home mum, who claims she had applied the factor 50 sun cream (seen right) to her son, but that he still got burnt

However, despite regularly topping up her son's sun cream when he went in and out of the swimming pool, the stay-at-home mum was shocked when her son was covered in burns

last week mum Karen Trett had claimed her daughters (not pictured) had also been left with excruciating burns from the same brand of sun cream

Nicola said Aaron’s shoulder is now scarred following the painful sunburn, and said the ‘Asda product should be recalled to prevent the same thing happening to other children’. Asda has said its product complies with all the industry standards.

‘I do not expect my son to be crying out in pain because of a product that I should be able to trust to protect my child’s skin.’

After seeing Karen Trett’s story, Nicola says she felt the need to speak out to ‘stop this happening to other children’. Asda has said its product complies with all the industry standards.

She said: ‘After seeing my son in tears because he was so in pain, I knew that I had to make sure no other children were in this position.

‘It took a long time for Aaron’s burns to scab over and now he’s left with a scarred shoulder that could stay there for the rest of his life.

Karen Trett claims her daughters Destiny, and Lexi (pictured), got burnt despite being coated in the Asda cream 

Karen Trett claims her daughters Destiny, and Lexi (pictured), got burnt despite being coated in the Asda cream 

After seeing Karen Trett's story, Nicola knew she needed to speak out to stop this happening to other children

After seeing Karen Trett’s story, Nicola knew she needed to speak out to stop this happening to other children

Nicola Hadley, 47, from West Bromwich claims her son Aaron Boyes was left badly burned after using Asda Protect Kids Factor 50 sun cream earlier this month during the heatwave

Nicola Hadley, 47, from West Bromwich claims her son Aaron Boyes was left badly burned after using Asda Protect Kids Factor 50 sun cream earlier this month during the heatwave

‘He was in a lot of discomfort from the sun cream, and I want to advise others not to use this cream and to be careful in the sun.’

A spokesperson for Asda said: ‘All Asda sun cream is independently tested to the highest industry standards and is labelled with clear usage guidelines, which are especially important to follow in this hot weather.

‘We are confident in the quality of our sun cream and have run the necessary checks to confirm that it has passed all of the required SPF tests and all the ingredients have been made to their precise specification.

‘We have been in touch with Ms Hadley to reassure her about these checks and the quality of our sun cream.’

Karen Trett  shared the horrific burns that her daughters Destiny and Lexi (pictured)

Karen Trett shared the horrific burns that her daughters Destiny and Lexi (pictured)

 



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.