News, Culture & Society

Office worker, 20, died after taking lethal dose of party drug GBL

Office worker, 20, died after taking lethal dose of party drug GBL with glass of Prosecco as she celebrated Christmas Day with friends

  • Jade Clayton, from Brinnington, was found dead early on Boxing Day morning 
  • Toxicology tests found she had ingested GBL, cocaine, diazepam and alcohol 
  • She was described as a popular and vibrant young woman who was much loved 

Jade Clayton died aged just 20 after she took a lethal dose of the party drug GBL on Christmas Day 

A young woman died aged just 20 after she took a lethal dose of the party drug GBL with a glass of Prosecco on Christmas Day.

Jade Clayton had gone to a friend’s flat to celebrate after spending the day with her family – but during the evening she swallowed a toxic level of Gamma-Butyrolactone (GBL), also known as ‘liquid ecstasy’ out of a plastic bottle. GBL is converted into Gamma-hydroxybutyrate (GHB) in the body.

The customer relations executive was found dead on the floor of the apartment in the early hours of Boxing Day. Toxicology tests showed she had GBL, cocaine, diazepam and alcohol in her system.

An inquest heard the 2017 tragedy occurred just five months after Miss Clayton from Brinnington, near Stockport, was admitted to hospital after taking GBL during another night out. 

On the previous occasion she recovered after being placed in an induced coma but began take elicit substances again after she was discharged from hospital.

Her father Brian Clayton told the Stockport hearing: ‘Jade was happy and outgoing, she had a heart of gold. I never thought she used drugs but in July 2017 I got a knock on the door and they explained that she was put into an induced coma.

‘It did come as a shock to me and I came to understand that she had been taking GBL. She came to stay with us for two weeks after and told me it had been an accident. 

‘She said she walked into the kitchen and drank a glass of water that was on the side. She said she thought it was just water. But I didn’t believe her for a minute.’

Recalling the lead up to the tragedy, he added: ‘I last saw her on the 25 December. She spent the day with us. We were playing games and having a laugh and a joke. I knew she was due to be spending time with her sister later that day. That’s what she told me. But in the morning I was contacted by paramedics.’

Coroner Chris Morris described Jade as a 'popular and vibrant young woman who was much loved and had everything to live for'

Coroner Chris Morris described Jade as a ‘popular and vibrant young woman who was much loved and had everything to live for’

Jade’s house mate Bradley Maguire said: ‘She would always measure the amount of GBL with a syringe but I saw her take three or four that night. Up until 2 o’clock when I went to sleep I was checking on Jade. I told her that we both had stuff to do the next morning so we needed to go to sleep.

‘Jade went to sleep on the sofa and I could hear her snoring. I was up again at about 6am, I went into the front room and I couldn’t hear her snoring. She looked purple so I dragged her off the sofa. I started giving CPR and shouted for Beth. We called an ambulance straight away.’

Jade’s friend Bethany Griffiths said: ‘I woke up at about 6.10am and I heard Bradley shouting. Jade was on the floor in the living room and Bradley was screaming. 

‘I knew straight away from seeing her that we had to ring an ambulance.’

Toxicology tests found Jade had ingested GBL, cocaine, diazepam and alcohol

Toxicology tests found Jade had ingested GBL, cocaine, diazepam and alcohol

Det Insp Andrew Kindness of Greater Manchester Police said: ‘A clear plastic bottle was found lying upright next to Jade. There had been some clear liquid in it but there was not a lot of liquid left. 

‘There were some concerns raised on social media about the use of GBL. There was no indication that Bradley had been involved in the supplying of the drug to Jade.’

Toxicologist Julie Evans said: ‘GHB can be described as liquid ecstasy and it has become more popular as a recreational drug in the past 10 years due to its euphoric effect. There is reported to be a narrow margin between a tolerable amount and a fatal amount.

‘The concentration of GHB consumed by Jade is consistent with previous fatalities. My view is that the cause of death is fatal toxicity arising from the use of GHB.’

Recording a conclusion of a drug-related death, coroner Chris Morris said: ‘This is a truly tragic case involving the senseless loss of a popular and vibrant young woman who was much loved and had everything to live for. 

‘On Christmas Day she was reported to be fine and well and was celebrating with family members. She then met up with friends and was taking cocaine, alcohol and GBL at one of their flats. There is no evidence that she was forced to take any of these substances.’

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.