News, Culture & Society

Pictured: M&S worker strangled to death by her husband

This is the M&S worker who was strangled to death with a hair straightener cord by her husband after she tried to leave him.

Sarah Jeffery, 48, was murdered by 51-year-old Christopher Jeffery on the morning of June 8 – four days after Sarah had moved out of the family home.

He was jailed for life on Friday after admitting the brutal crime.

The postman murdered his wife of 14 years in the bedroom of their family home in Baddeley Green, Stoke-on-Trent as she returned to collect her belongings.

Christopher Jeffery, 51, carried out the brutal attack on the morning of June 8 - four days after his wife of 14 years had moved out of the family home

Christopher Jeffery (right), 51, carried out the brutal attack on the morning of June 8 – four days after his wife of 14 years had moved out of the family home. Pictured left: Sarah

Sarah’s father was stood outside the £130,000 property waiting for her as Jeffery set upon her and murdered her. Shortly after, he called his mother to tell her what he had done.   

Jeffery had originally pleaded not guilty to murdering Sarah, but dramatically changed his plea at Birmingham Crown Court on Friday.

He was sentenced to a minimum of 11 years and 67 days behind bars, having already served 174 days in custody.

Judge Michael Chambers QC, sentencing, described the attack as ‘vengeful’.

He said: ‘Sarah Jeffery was 48 at the time with her life before her. This was an appalling act.’

Detective Inspector Victoria Downing, of Staffordshire Police, said: ‘This was a violent crime which resulted in a life being cut short in dreadful circumstances.

Sarah's father was stood outside the £130,000 property waiting for her as Jeffery set upon her and murdered her. Pictured above, police outside the home in June 

Sarah’s father was stood outside the £130,000 property waiting for her as Jeffery set upon her and murdered her. Pictured above, police outside the home in June 

‘Our thoughts are with Sarah’s family at this tragic and difficult time.’

The couple – who are believed to have had a son in his 20s – had been living at the property for over 20 years, according to neighbours.

One resident said at the time: ‘My husband and I moved here with the kids back in 1997, and they were here before then.

‘As far as I’m aware there are very few people that have been living here longer. There wasn’t anything particularly exceptional or different about them.

‘Every now and then you’d stop and have a chat with them, and they seemed like they were very nice, very normal.

‘We would send Christmas cards to one another, as we all do round here, and occasionally birthday cards too.

‘They were just very ordinary people, the last thing you’d expect of them is something like this to happen.’

An 82-year-old resident, who had been living on the street for over 60 years, said: ‘Goodness me it was a shock.

‘There was a police cordon up and cars lining the street. I’d never seen anything like it at all.

‘The pair of them must have been here for over 20 years, it’s been a long while that they’ve lived here.

‘She worked at the local M&S, and he’s been a postman for a very long time now.

‘I have no idea what the son does nowadays, he comes and goes quite regularly.

‘I’m not sure what’s happened to him now, but I’m sure he’s being very well looked after. It’s an awful thing to happen to anyone, yet alone such a young man.’



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Do you like it? Share with your friends!


Comments are closed.