News, Culture & Society

Prince Philip to learn fate over car crash in Sandringham within the next fortnight

Prince Philip finally apologises to mother of two he injured in crash admitting he did not see her car because he was dazzled by the ‘low sun’ as he waits to hear whether he faces police action over the accident

  • Prince Philip was in a collision with Kia carrying two women and a young baby
  • Emma Fairweather, 46, a passenger in the other car, broke her wrist in the crash
  • Officers gave Prince warning after seeing him on a public road without a seatbelt

Police say their investigation into the car crash near the Sandringham estate in Norfolk involving Prince Philip will be ‘complete within the next week or so’.

The 97-year-old – who looked less than happy as he was chauffeured about near the estate yesterday – was driving a Land Rover Freelander when it was in collision with a Kia carrying two women and a nine-month-old baby on January 17. 

However, despite the legal uncertainty, Prince Philip wrote a letter to Emma Fairweather who broke her wrist in the accident. 

Police say their investigation into the crash near the Sandringham estate in Norfolk involving Prince Philip, pictured in the passenger seat, will be ‘complete within the next week or so’

Prince Philip had to be rescued by a member of the public after his Land Rover collided with a Kia on January 17, leaving Karen Fairweather

Prince Philip had to be rescued by a member of the public after his Land Rover collided with a Kia on January 17, leaving Karen Fairweather

Prince Philip wrote a personal letter to Ms Fairweather to express his apologies over the accident and wishing her a speedy recovery

Prince Philip wrote a personal letter to Ms Fairweather to express his apologies over the accident and wishing her a speedy recovery

Ms Fairweather said the Duke should be prosecuted if he was responsible for the accident. 

In the personal letter, seen by the Sunday Mirror, Prince Philip said he was ‘deeply sorry’ about the crash. 

He wished her a ‘speedy recovery and said he ‘failed to see the car coming’. 

He wrote: ‘I would like you to know how very sorry I am for my part in the accident at the Babingley cross-roads.

‘I have been across that crossing any number of times and I know very well the amount of traffic that uses that main road.

‘It was a bright sunny day and at about three in the afternoon, the sun was low over the Wash.

‘In other words, the sun was shining low over the main road. In normal conditions I would have no difficulty in seeing traffic coming from the Dersingham direction, but I can only imagine that I failed to see the car coming, and I am very contrite about the consequences.

‘I was somewhat shaken after the accident, but I was greatly relieved that none of you were seriously injured.

‘As a crowd was beginning to gather, I was advised to return to Sandringham House by a local police officer. I have since learned that you suffered a broken arm. I am deeply sorry about this injury.

‘I wish you a speedy recovery from a very distressing experience.’

The letter is signed ‘Yours sincerely Philip’.

Emma Fairweather, pictured on This Morning, was in the other car and broke her wrist 

Emma Fairweather, pictured on This Morning, was in the other car and broke her wrist 

Ms Fairweather, 46, told the Sunday Mirror she was ‘chuffed’ with the letter, adding: ‘I thought it was really nice that he signed off as “Philip” and not the formal title. I was pleasantly surprised because of the personalised nature.

‘A lot of people said it was unrealistic that I wanted that human kindness from Prince Philip – which is what I saw this letter as.’

Ms Fairweather had previously complained that while the Queen, who had no involvement in the accident, had been in contact through a lady-in-waiting, she had not had any direct communication with the duke.

It is understood a similar letter was sent to the driver of the Kia.

Philip was photographed driving without a seatbelt 48 hours after the crash.

Emma Fairweather, 46, a passenger in the other car, broke her wrist in the crash and the 28-year-old driver suffered cuts to her knees.

Police are examining whether the Prince, who has faced calls to give up his driving licence since the incident, committed any offence.

Officers gave him a warning last Saturday after he was seen driving on a public road without wearing a seatbelt.  

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.