- 19-year-old Scot declined to make formal statement after allegedly gang raped
- Claimed she was raped by three men on a beach near Punta Ballena party strip
- She is also thought to have failed to go to hospital for an examination
The police investigation into the alleged gang rape of a British holidaymaker in Magaluf has stalled after the woman declined to make a formal statement.
The 19-year-old Scot gave cops a photograph of one of the three men she claimed raped her on a beach near the Punta Ballena party strip hours after she was allegedly targeted.
But it emerged today she failed to follow up her initial alert with a detailed written statement.
Sources close to the investigation said detectives had gone to her hotel after her no-show at a police station as arranged but left after being told she didn’t want to pursue the matter.
The Punta Ballena strip in Magaluf, where a woman says she was raped on a beach (file image)
She is also thought to have failed to go to hospital for an examination which could prove crucial in bringing a successful prosecution against the men she alleged forced themselves on her in the early hours of Saturday morning.
A well-placed insider said today: ‘The fact she has not made a formal statement means the investigation is pretty much in stand-by status at the moment.
‘It hasn’t been shelved but it’s unlikely to proceed without a formal victim complaint.
‘The holidaymaker still has time to make one and can do so when she’s back in her home country.’
Another insider added: ‘Police don’t know why she has decided for the time being not to make a formal statement and it doesn’t necessarily mean she isn’t the victim of a horrendous sex crime as she initially claimed.
‘But arrests are unlikely to be made unless she changes her mind about making a proper complaint.’
The tourist told officers early on Saturday she agreed to go to a beach near Punta Ballena with one of the men – but was raped by him and two of his uninvited friends.
The Punta Ballena strip is the most popular part of the tourist resort (file image)
She said she had called out for help while she was being forced to have sex but no-one came to her aid.
Officers took her clothes so they could test them for DNA evidence. It is not known what the tests revealed.
The men she pointed the finger at are believed to be British, although Civil Guard officers in Majorca have made no official comment on their likely nationalities.
Police in the Costa del Sol resort of Puerto Banus are continuing to hunt for a taxi driver accused of raping another British holidaymaker on waste ground around 4am on Sunday.
She told detectives he forced himself on her after taking her to the spot where he attacked her instead of her hotel after she decided to leave friends she had been out partying with to take a cab home.
Police insiders say they are taking her complaint ‘very seriously’ and have described her as being in a ‘state of shock’ when she informed them what had happened.
No arrests have yet been made and it is understood the police investigation is being slowed down by the woman’s memory lapses due to the alcohol she had consumed.
Police in the Costa del Sol resort of Puerto Banus are continuing to hunt for a taxi driver accused of raping another British holidaymaker on waste ground around 4am on Sunday