News, Culture & Society

Spanish light rail company laying only half track needed to meet deadline 

Light rail company Acciona have increased production at key sites, but are still only laying only half the amount of track needed to get back on schedule.

In the past fortnight, the Spanish construction company has laid 490m of light rail track in Sydney, but the government says the contractor needs to be putting down an estimated 2000m of track a month to meet their deadline. 

Despite the pace having increased from earlier in the year – which included one week where no track was laid at all – Minister ­­And­rew Constance believes it’s not enough.

Sydney’s disastrous light rail project is now running a whole year behind schedule, with  Spanish contractor Acciona working at half the pace needed to meet deadline (pictured is the light rail project)

Major light rail construction began in October 2015 and the line itself may not start running until March 2020 or later

Major light rail construction began in October 2015 and the line itself may not start running until March 2020 or later

‘Acciona are clearly still stuffing around the ­taxpayer,’ he told Newscorp on Tuesday night. 

‘Other contractors across the state are able to get on with the job they are paid to do. I expect these guys to do the same.’

A representative for the consortium responsible for delivering the bungled project, ALTRAC, denied that workers are taking their time.

She said areas including Surry Hills, the CBD, Randwick and Kensignton could expect to see faster progress in the months to come now that ‘most of the utilities works’ had been completed.

‘As we have said publicly there was never a go slow and work has been progressing along the alignment,’ the spokeswoman said.  

In a statement of claim lodged with the NSW Supreme Court, Acciona stated that Transport for New South Wales withheld vital information about electricity infrastructure.

Thursday, 12pm: This worker chilled out on his backhoe as traffic snarled and the city streets bustled with foot traffic

Thursday, 12pm: This worker chilled out on his backhoe as traffic snarled and the city streets bustled with foot traffic

A labourer takes a break and scrolls through messages on his mobile phone on George Street

A labourer takes a break and scrolls through messages on his mobile phone on George Street

The company wants another $1.1billion from the government to finish the project. The government is fighting the claim.

The light rail was originally budgeted to cost $1.6 billion before a $500 million blowout. But Acciona’s new demands would double the original cost.

The project is running a full year late and the line, stretching from Circular Quay to Randwick, won’t be operational until March 2020.

 Minister ­­And­rew Constance believes the construction company is on a 'go slow' (pictured is the light rail project at midday late April )

 Minister ­­And­rew Constance believes the construction company is on a ‘go slow’ (pictured is the light rail project at midday late April )

 



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Do you like it? Share with your friends!


Comments are closed.