News, Culture & Society

Terrifying moment a rental truck explodes into a massive fireball

The horrific moment a young man was killed when the truck he was driving exploded into flames has been captured on camera.

Anthony Carnevale, 24, was killed instantly after his rental vehicle exploded at the Footscray intersection in Melbourne’s west in 2015.

The Coroner’s Court of Victoria released the footage after concluding Mr Carnevale’s death was caused by a gas leakage and spark from an un-capped 12-volt battery, 9News reported.

Anthony Carnevale (pictured), 24, was killed instantly after his rental vehicle exploded at the Footscray intersection in Melbourne ‘s west in 2015

The barbecue gas bottles were in the rear of the rental truck Mr Carnevale had hired for the weekend while he was moving houses.

He was in the process of moving them, along with his barbeque from a storage unit to his new home when they went up in flames.

He was said to be thrilled about moving into a new space. 

The confronting footage shows the truck travelling through the intersection with no issues, before suddenly exploding and sending debris flying across the busy road.

Nearby cars were damaged, debris struck powerlines setting off a further mini explosion and windows shattered in buildings around the vicinity.

The moment a young man was killed when the truck he was driving exploded into flames was captured on camera

The moment a young man was killed when the truck he was driving exploded into flames was captured on camera

Nearby cars were damaged, debris struck powerlines setting off a further mini explosion and windows shattered in buildings around the vicinity

Nearby cars were damaged, debris struck powerlines setting off a further mini explosion and windows shattered in buildings around the vicinity

Victorian coroner Paresa Spanos said it was remarkable more lives weren’t lost. 

A pedestrian only narrowly missed the fiery blaze. The footage shows him walking down the footpath and off screen only seconds before the Avis rental truck appears.

Other motorists who were stopped at the set of lights were caught on camera cautiously making their way toward the wreckage. 

The debris was sprawled across the multi-lane road and damaged surrounding property

The debris was sprawled across the multi-lane road and damaged surrounding property

Mr Carnevale was in the process of moving the gas bottles, along with his barbecue from a storage unit to his new home when they went up in flames

Mr Carnevale was in the process of moving the gas bottles, along with his barbecue from a storage unit to his new home when they went up in flames

‘It was basically like his car became a bomb,’ a witness told 7News.  

Stills of the footage show the moment pressure destroys the back of the vehicle, sending the back doors flying and flames spewing out at every angle. 

Metropolitan Fire Brigade’s extensive search concluded human error may have been a contributing factor, with all three gas cylinders Mr Carnevale was transporting found to be loose. 

Coroner Spanos suggested Energy Safe Victoria took steps to increase public awareness, through a campaign or otherwise.

LPG have committed to taking preventative measures by introducing mandatory safety valves into cylinders from 2020 onwards. 

Experts warn against transporting gas cylinders in a car’s cabin. A boot or semi-open space is a safer option, they say.

Commander Frank Besanko from the Metropolitan Fire Brigade suggested drivers ‘open their windows, and don’t have family in the car, just in case.’  

 Metropolitan Fire Brigade's extensive search concluded human error may have been a contributing factor

 Metropolitan Fire Brigade’s extensive search concluded human error may have been a contributing factor



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.