News, Culture & Society

Tory donors ‘are holding back their cash until Theresa May leaves office

Tory donors ‘are holding back their cash until Theresa May leaves office in ‘disgust’ at her leadership style and the handling of Brexit’

  • Donors said to have given millions over the years, are reluctant to part with more 
  • The annual fundraising Black and White Ball will find itself short of many donors
  • One Conservative source said  party had received no donations since Christmas

Tory donors are refusing to hand over money to the party due to Theresa May’s leadership style and the handling of Brexit, it was claimed last night.

Several major donors, said to have given millions of pounds over the years, are reportedly reluctant to part with any more while the future of the country, and the party, is in flux.

The businessmen do not want to fund another snap general election, or another vote at all while Mrs May is in charge, the Daily Telegraph claims today.

Several major donors, said to have given millions of pounds over the years, are reportedly reluctant to hand over any more money to the Tory party

The annual fundraising Black and White Ball, set for next month, will find itself short of many high-profile donors, it was claimed, even though potentially crucial access to ministers is auctioned off for hundreds of thousands of pounds.

One Conservative source said the party had received no donations since Christmas.

 Among the organisations said to be withholding money is the Midlands Industrial Council, whose 33 members donated around a fifth – £5million – of the war chest used to fight the 2017 snap election.

David Wall, the council’s secretary, told the Telegraph: ‘With the level of confusion within Parliament at the moment, the uncertainty over a possible election, a possible change of leader, most donors are reluctant to make donations at this time.

‘We all need some clarity on what direction the Conservative party and the Government are going in.’ 

According to one Conservative source, the party had received no donations since Christmas

According to one Conservative source, the party had received no donations since Christmas

And one unnamed donor, said to have given generously over the years, laid blame for the backlash at a ‘small cabal around Theresa May that is completely out of touch with reality’. 

Donors were annoyed at seeing their cash spent on ‘promoting May’s deal,’ he said, when many opposed the Brexit stance taken.

He added: ‘People have turned away in disgust. Once May has gone the donations will resume.’

According to reports, the party has, in the space of just ten days, sent out two emails to its membership asking for money – which a source said was an ‘unprecedented’ move outside an election campaign. 

As revealed in the Mail, the party has been told to be on an election footing. Tuesday will see a series of votes on amendments in Parliament in the hope of breaking the Brexit deadlock.

Britain’s top civil servant told Government departmental heads to be ready in case an election is needed to break the Brexit deadlock.

Cabinet Secretary Sir Mark Sedwill met senior mandarins last week to discuss preparations in case Theresa May decides to go to the country.

And ex-party leader William Hague has said the crisis may lead to a snap election.

 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.