News, Culture & Society

11-year-old girl saves her neighbor’s puppy from a fire after seeing smoke and calling 911

Quick-thinking 11-year-old girl saves her neighbor’s puppy from a fire after seeing smoke coming out of their home and calling 911

  • Mackenzie Jenkins was in her yard in Cape Coral, Florida, on Saturday, September 4, when she heard smoke alarms going off inside the house  
  • After seeing smoke and hearing her neighbor’s eight-month-old dog, Fiona, barking, she called 911 to report the house fire  
  • The Cape Coral Fire Department knew to search for a dog thanks to the information Mackenzie had provided to dispatchers over the phone 
  • While Fiona was unresponsive when firefighters first located her, Lee County Emergency Medical Services (EMS) cooled the puppy and gave her oxygen 
  • By the time the fire was put out, the dog was up and walking around again 
  • Firefighters gave Mackenzie a Community Recognition Coin for her actions that saved her neighbor’s dog and prevented further damage to their home


An 11-year-old girl helped save a puppy from a house fire after spotting smoke coming out of her neighbor’s home and quickly calling 911. 

Mackenzie Jenkins was in her yard in Cape Coral, Florida, on Saturday, September 4, when she heard smoke alarms going off inside the house as well as their eight-month-old dog, Fiona, barking. 

‘I came outside to play on my swing and then I saw smoke coming out of the roof, and the front door and the bedroom window,’ she told WINK.

  

Quick thinking: Mackenzie Jenkins, 11, from Cape Coral, Florida, helped save her neighbor’s eight-month-old puppy, Fiona, after calling 911 to report their house was on fire 

Destruction: The young hero said she was outside playing on her swing when she heard the smoke alarms going off in her neighbor's home as well as Fiona barking

Destruction: The young hero said she was outside playing on her swing when she heard the smoke alarms going off in her neighbor’s home as well as Fiona barking 

The elementary school student sprung into action and called 911 to report the fire, likely saving the dog’s life. 

The Cape Coral Fire Department knew to search for a dog thanks to the information Mackenzie had provided to dispatchers over the phone. 

‘I was scared. I was mostly scared about Fiona because I didn’t want her to die,’ she explained to the news station. 

While Fiona was unresponsive when firefighters first located her, Lee County Emergency Medical Services (EMS) cooled the puppy and gave her oxygen.

Hero: The Cape Coral Fire Department knew to search for a dog thanks to the information Mackenzie had provided to dispatchers over the phone

Hero: The Cape Coral Fire Department knew to search for a dog thanks to the information Mackenzie had provided to dispatchers over the phone

Hero: The Cape Coral Fire Department knew to search for a dog thanks to the information Mackenzie had provided to dispatchers over the phone

Saved: While Fiona was unresponsive when firefighters first located her, Lee County EMS cooled the puppy and gave her oxygen until she was up and walking again

Saved: While Fiona was unresponsive when firefighters first located her, Lee County EMS cooled the puppy and gave her oxygen until she was up and walking again 

Full of pride: Mackenzie's grandfather Michael Jenkins said he is 'very proud' of her

Full of pride: Mackenzie’s grandfather Michael Jenkins said he is ‘very proud’ of her

By the time the fire was put out, the dog was up and walking around again. 

Mackenzie’s neighbors weren’t home at the time, and firefighters thanked her for her quick response to the emergency. 

‘They just said that they were happy that I saved the house and the dog, because the fire could have gotten worse if I didn’t call in the next five minutes,’ she said. 

Mackenzie’s grandfather Michael Jenkins told WINK he is also ‘very proud’ of her.   

The firefighters gave Mackenzie a Community Recognition Coin for her heroic actions that saved her neighbor’s dog and prevented further damage to their home. 

Award: Firefighters gave Mackenzie a Community Recognition Coin for her heroic actions that saved her neighbor's dog and prevented further damage to their home

Award: Firefighters gave Mackenzie a Community Recognition Coin for her heroic actions that saved her neighbor’s dog and prevented further damage to their home

Paying tribute: The Cape Coral Fire Department shared photos of Mackenzie posing with her award on its Facebook page after the rescue

Paying tribute: The Cape Coral Fire Department shared photos of Mackenzie posing with her award on its Facebook page after the rescue 

The Cape Coral Fire Department also paid tribute to Mackenzie on its Facebook page after the rescue while sharing photos of her posing with her award.  

‘When firefighters were able to make entry, they knew to search for a dog thanks to the information provided by Mackenzie,’ the post explained. 

The blaze resulted in about $95,000 worth of damages, but Mackenzie’s neighbors are just grateful that everyone made it out alive, including their puppy.  

The house fire was ruled accidental and is believed to have been started from an e-cigarette that was charged on a nightstand in the master bedroom, officials told NBC2.  

The blaze caused about $95,000 worth of damages, but Mackenzie’s neighbors are just grateful that everyone made it out alive, including their puppy. 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk