A-League fan that hurled bucket at goalkeeper Thomas Glover had previously been banned from games

It has been revealed that the football fan who threw a bucket of sand at Melbourne City goalkeeper Thomas Glover during the A-League derby last weekend had previously been banned from attending games.

The supporter, who has been labelled ‘bucket man’, stormed the pitch and hurled the bucket at the custodian, leaving him bleeding, concussed and needing to be escorted from the field.

It is alleged that ‘bucket man’ attacked Glover because the goalkeeper had thrown a marine flare hurled onto the pitch back into the crowd.

The Herald Sun has reported that the man had only had a previous suspension lifted in May last year before his actions at AAMI Park.

Police have charged the supporter with violent disorder, discharging a missile, recklessly causing injury, entry to a sporting competition space and riotous behaviour while he is likely to receive a life ban from Football Australia events.

The moment Melbourne City goalkeeper Tom Glover was struck by a bucket of sand when protestors invaded in the pitch in the A-League derby

A bleeding Tom Glover of Melbourne City is escorted from the pitch by team mates after fans stormed the pitch and he was struck by the bucket of sand

A bleeding Tom Glover of Melbourne City is escorted from the pitch by team mates after fans stormed the pitch and he was struck by the bucket of sand

The Sun has also reported that another one of the pitch invaders was currently serving an 18-year ban handed down in 2013, but had somehow gained entry to AAMI Park.

He was one of around 150 people that invaded the pitch and was spotted throwing a pitch-side trolley.

The two pitch invaders are amongst 36 people so far identified by police, which include five football supporters that were either currently or previously banned from A-League matches.

It comes after an Adelaide United supporter alleged that one of the pitch invaders in Melbourne was the same man who left him with a fractured skull earlier this season.

Adelaide United had thrashed Melbourne Victory 3-0 at Hindmarsh Stadium on November 11 when the incident was alleged to have taken place.

The Adelaide supporter said he was approached by a large group of Melbourne Victory supporters when exiting a tram after the match.

‘I changed my path as I didn’t want any trouble,’ he said.

‘One of them then ran onto the road, approached me and punched me in the face. I immediately fell to the ground.’

Melbourne Victory fans invade the pitch during the Australian A-League men's soccer match between Melbourne City and the Melbourne Victory at AAMI Park

Melbourne Victory fans invade the pitch during the Australian A-League men’s soccer match between Melbourne City and the Melbourne Victory at AAMI Park

Players could only look on during the carnage before they were ushered from the field and the match was abandoned

Players could only look on during the carnage before they were ushered from the field and the match was abandoned

The extreme scenes at AAMI Park came after an organised approach from A-League supporters to peacefully walk out of matches in protest of the grand final being sold to Sydney for the next three years.

While walkouts were held without violence at other A-League venues, the situation spiraled out of control in the Melbourne derby and forced the match to be abandoned.

Football Australia has handed down the first round of sanctions over the violence with the Victory banned from selling tickets to home games, with only pre-ticketed members allowed to attend.

Sections behind the goalposts will be inaccessible by fans and supporters are unable to attend away matches with further sanctions likely to come.

The sanctions do not apply to the Melbourne Victory women’s side.

Some of the pitch invaders that police have either questioned or are seeking for questioning, including 'bucket man' pictured middle left

Some of the pitch invaders that police have either questioned or are seeking for questioning, including ‘bucket man’ pictured middle left

Victoria Police Inspector Jason Goddard has warned that stern punishment awaits the pitched invaders from the Melbourne A-League derby and has called for public assistance

Victoria Police Inspector Jason Goddard has warned that stern punishment awaits the pitched invaders from the Melbourne A-League derby and has called for public assistance

Melbourne Victory are scheduled to play Western United on Boxing Day and police have warned there will be a large, visible police presence at the match.

“Police were appalled by last weekend’s pitch invasion and have laid a number of charges on those involved in the incident for violent disorder, criminal damage and assault,” the statement said.

“This should send a very clear message that police will not tolerate this kind of behaviour at sporting matches.

“We will once again be closely monitoring the behaviour of individuals and we will not hesitate to take swift action against any anti-social or criminal behaviour.”

Anyone with information on those in the images can call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit the website www.crimestoppersvic.com.au.

***
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk