News, Culture & Society

Adelaide stabbing sees police arrest THIRTEEN people but no murder charges

Police reveal THIRTEEN people have been arrested after 25-year-old’s sudden stabbing death – but NO-ONE has been charged with killing him

  • Detectives swooped after Victorian man, 25, found dying in Adelaide city street 
  • He’d suffered multiple stab wounds to the chest and couldn’t be saved by cops
  • Raids on a nearby hotel saw seven arrested and five more allegedly armed in car
  • Driver of a second car also arrested but no-one has been charged over killing 

Detectives have arrested 13 people after a Victorian man was stabbed to death in a vicious street fight in Adelaide’s city centre early on Monday morning.

Just after 2am, police were called to North Terrace after a man was found lying on the road fighting for his life at an intersection after he was attacked by a gang.

The 25-year-old man had multiple stab wounds to his chest and died shortly after officers arrived.

Police believe there had been a running fight between rival groups of men through the city streets and the victim was chased down before he was stabbed to death. 

‘The attackers ran down the victim and when he fell, he was stabbed while he was on the ground,’ Assistant Commissioner John Venditto said.

Detectives have arrested 13 people after a Victorian man was stabbed to death in a vicious street fight in Adelaide ‘s city centre early on Monday morning

Just after 2am, police were called to North Terrace after a man was found lying on the road fighting for his life at an intersection after he was attacked by a gang

Just after 2am, police were called to North Terrace after a man was found lying on the road fighting for his life at an intersection after he was attacked by a gang

South Australia police spokesman said the attack did ‘not appear to be a random incident’ and a murder hunt has been launched by detectives and forensic experts.

Mr Venditto said police believed the murder was linked to Operation Meld, a crackdown targeting youth gangs.

‘The theory at the moment is that this is an incident between two groups that know each other,’ he said.

‘The threat to the public is there because they’ve got bladed weapons and other weapons and react with spontaneous acts of violence … 13 violent people are now in custody.’

He said police resources have already been increased in the city centre and community leaders were working with investigators to tackle the gang problem.

CCTV footage led officers to a hotel on Franklin Street where police arrested seven people before a car was spotted two hours later and five more were arrested.  

Officers searched the blue Holden sedan and found two knives, a machete and cash.

The five occupants, including a homeless 16-year-old, two 18-year-olds, a 20-year-old and a 25-year-old man were arrested for carrying an offensive weapon.

The vehicle was seized for forensic examination. All men were refused bail or did not apply for bail and will appear at Adelaide Magistrates Court on Tuesday.

About an hour later a black Mazda sedan was stopped by police on Pirie Street and a 19-year-old was arrested for breach of bail.

The 25-year-old man had multiple stab wounds to his chest and died shortly after officers arrived.

The 25-year-old man had multiple stab wounds to his chest and died shortly after officers arrived.

Police believe there had been a running fight between rival groups of men through the city streets and the victim was chased down before he was stabbed to death

Police believe there had been a running fight between rival groups of men through the city streets and the victim was chased down before he was stabbed to death

A silver Holden sedan was been seized in a nearby lane and a knife was found in the back seat. Detectives are also investigating a hotel on Hindmarsh Square.

Police say they have yet to link the arrested men to the stabbing and no-one has yet been charged in connection with the death.

The seven other men arrested earlier – aged from 19-23 – were on unrelated matters ranging from outstanding arrest warrants to assault charges and alleged weapons offences.

All were refused bail or did not apply for bail and will appear in Adelaide Magistrates Court on Tuesday.

***
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk