Aerosol can of dry shampoo left in hot car EXPLODES and shatters sun roof before landing 50 feet away
- St. Louis, Missouri woman posted images on her Facebook page on Thursday
- Pictures show inside of her daughter’s car, which suffered significant damage
- Sun roof was shattered and console was left charred and broken
- Christine Debrecht says aerosol can holding dry shampoo exploded on hot day
- Aerosol can contains propellants, which are flammable when heated
A Missouri woman says a bottle of dry shampoo exploded in her daughter’s car after it was left there during a hot day and blew through the sunroof before landing some 50 feet away.
Christine Debrecht of St. Louis posted images on her Facebook page on Thursday showing the damage inside her 19-year-old daughter Josie’s car.
‘It was hot yesterday and the can exploded,’ Debrecht wrote on her Facebook page.
‘It blew the console cover off of its hinges, shot through the sunroof, and went high enough in the air that it landed about 50 feet away.
The image above shows the inside of a car after an aerosol can full of dry shampoo exploded on a hot day
The heat propelled the can through the sun roof, shattering it (as seen above) before it landed some 50 feet away
The above image shows the Equate Beauty dry shampoo aerosol can that exploded
‘I just want to remind you (and your kids) to heed those warnings on products you may be using.
‘Please don’t leave aerosol cans (and especially dry shampoo, as this seems to be an issue with some brands) in your car!
‘I am so grateful that no one was hurt.’
Debrecht posted an image of a green bottle of dry shampoo produced by Equate Beauty.
Christine Debrecht (above) is warning others about the dangers of leaving beauty products in hot cars
Equate, which was once an independent brand, was taken over by Walmart, where it is now sold.
According to the product page on Walmart’s website, Equate’s dry shampoo contains ingredients such as propane, butane, isobutane, chloride, and phenethyl alcohol.
The green bottle seen in Debrecht’s Facebook post does contain a label warning of its ‘extremely flammable’ nature.
‘Container may explode if heated,’ the warning on the aerosol can states.
Propane and butane are chemicals that act as propellants – meaning they help push out the liquids stored in an aerosol can.
When heated, these chemicals become extremely flammable.