Aldi has been crowned the cheapest supermarket in Australia for a basket of 29 essential grocery items costing just $80.75.
The latest CHOICE grocery prices survey found shoppers can save up to $64.48 just by switching from big brands to a basket of Aldi-owned budget buys.
The shopping list includes bread, milk, eggs, olive oil, tomato sauce, butter, beef mince, fresh apples, bananas, broccoli, frozen peas, coffee, orange juice, cereal, dried penne, flour, sugar, tissues, laundry detergent, dishwashing liquid and more.
The 2021 results found Coles to be the most expensive supermarket of leading brands ($145.23) ahead of IGA ($142.79) and Woolworths ($141.83).
The list includes branded items such as Wonder White bread, Dairy Farmers milk, Western Star butter, Birds Eye peas, Kellogg’s Nutri-Grain, Moccona coffee, San Remo penne, Kleenex tissues, Morning Fresh dishwashing liquid and more.
Aldi has been crowned the cheapest supermarket in Australia for a basket of 29 essential grocery items costing just $80.75 (stock image)
What’s in Aldi’s basket?
1. Bread, white, sandwich sliced – Baker’s Life Viva Plus White High Fibre 700g
2. Chocolate, dark, block (not cooking) – Moser Roth Finest Dark 85% Cocoa 125g
3. Milk, full cream, fresh – Farmdale Milk Full Cream 2L
4. Butter, salted – Beautifully Butterfully Butter Salted 250g
5. Ice cream, vanilla – Monarc Indulge Vanilla Opulence 1L
6. Peas, frozen – Market Fare Garden Peas 1kg
7. Crackers – Damora Eton Original Cracker Biscuits 250g
8. Chips, crinkle cut – Sprinters Original Crinkle Cut Potato Chips 230g
9. Jam, strawberry – Grandessa Signature Strawberry Premium Jam 370g
10. Breakfast cereal – GoldenVale Power Grain 560g
11. Coffee, instant – Alcafe Classic Gold 100g
12. Juice, orange – Westcliff Orange Juice 2L
13. Cling wrap – Goliath Cling Wrap 60m
14. Tuna (skipjack), canned – Portview Tuna Chunks in Springwater 95g
15. Oil, olive – Casa Barelli Extra Virgin Olive Oil 750mL
16. Sauce, tomato – Colway Tomato Sauce 500mL
17. Tomatoes, canned – Remano Australian Diced Tomatoes 400g
18. Pasta (penne), dried – Remano Penne 500g
19. Flour, white – White Mill Plain Flour 1kg
20. Sugar – Merryfield White Sugar 2kg
21. Tissues – Confidence Aloe Vera & Vitamin E 120pk
22. Hand wash – Tricare Antibacterial Liquid Hand Wash 250mL
23. Laundry detergent, liquid – Trimat Advanced Concentrated Laundry Liquid 2L
24. Dishwashing liquid – Tandil Ultra Lemon Fragrance Concentrate Dishwashing Liquid 1L
25. Eggs, free range, 12 eggs – Lodge Farms Free Range 12 Eggs Extra Large 700g
26. Mince, beef, 500g – Jindurra Station 3 Star Beef Mince
27. Apples, Granny Smith, 1kg pack – Fruitylicious Granny Smith Apples
28. Bananas, Cavendish, loose, 1kg
29. Broccoli, loose, 1kg
Total: $80.75 (including specials)
In the budget brand category, the experts found even further savings after switching to ‘budget-tier’ supermarket brand items.
‘Bear in mind the quality and “look and feel” of the items may not be directly comparable to that of national brands but if you’re looking for savings, it’s a great place to start,’ Choice’s content producer Rebecca Ciaramidaro said.
The experts substituted items for budget versions where they were available.
Coles has since labelled its budget brand ‘Coles’ while Woolworths has rebranded its budget tier from ‘Homebrand’ to ‘Essentials’.
Aldi still took the lead with the cheapest basket costing just $67.18 for 29 items, $5 to $6 cheaper than Coles ($72.93) and Woolworths ($72.89) baskets.
‘While these prices are including specials, you wouldn’t expect the price to change too much as specials are rarely offered on budget-tier groceries,’ Rebecca said.
‘Keep in mind that within the same supermarket you could save up to $14.63 by purchasing the cheapest brand equivalent of the supermarket brand item, a decrease in cost of 17 per cent.’
Choice looked at three different categories, with Aldi named the cheapest supermarket for a basket of 29 essentials, while Coles was found to be the most expensive grocery chain
The survey found Coles to be the most expensive supermarket of leading brands ($145.23)
The big branded items at Woolworths cost an average of $141.83 (including specials)
The experts also compared the grocery prices of each state, with Queensland ($140.67) and Western Australia ($140.25) offering the cheapest average cost for a basket of big branded items.
South Australia, Tasmania and Northern Territory offered the most expensive baskets at $147.20.
Surprisingly, when the experts compared supermarket brands or budget-tier baskets, Queensland and Western Australia were the most expensive.
The results were compiled after Choice sent undercover shoppers into 120 supermarkets – 35 Woolworths, 34 Coles, 29 Aldi and 22 IGA stores – in 35 locations across Australia in April 2021.
Supermarket locations were chosen to give good coverage of socio-economic status and geographic spread across the country.
In the 2021 survey, all prices recorded were ‘with special’ (or as they were on the day of the shadow shop) across all supermarkets. Therefore there is no price comparison excluding the specials price, where it was available.
The basket with big branded items
1. Bread, white, sandwich sliced – Wonder White High Fibre Vitamins & Minerals Sandwich 700g
2. Chocolate, dark, block (not cooking) – Lindt 85% Cocoa Extra Dark 100g
3. Milk, full cream, fresh – Dairy Farmers Full Cream 2L
4. Butter, salted – Western Star Original Salted Butter 250g
5. Ice cream, vanilla – Connoisseur Classic Vanilla 1L
6. Peas, frozen – Birds Eye Australian Field Fresh Garden Peas 1kg
7. Crackers – Arnott’s Jatz Original 225g
8. Chips, crinkle cut – Smith’s Original 170g
9. Jam, strawberry – Cottee’s Strawberry Jam 500g
10. Breakfast cereal – Kellogg’s Nutri-Grain 500g
11. Coffee, instant – Moccona Classic 5 Medium Roast 100g
12. Juice, orange – Golden Circle Orange Juice 2L
13. Cling wrap – Glad Wrap 60m
14. Tuna (skipjack), canned – John West Chunk Style Tuna in Springwater 95g
15. Oil, olive – Moro Primero Extra Virgin Olive Oil 1L
16. Sauce, tomato – Masterfoods Tomato Sauce 500mL
17. Tomatoes, canned – Ardmona Diced Tomatoes Vine Ripened 400g
18. Pasta (penne), dried – San Remo Penne 500g
19. Flour, white – White Wings Premium All Purpose Flour Plain 1kg
20. Sugar – CSR White Sugar 2kg
21. Tissues – Kleenex Aloe Vera & Vitamin E 95pk
22. Hand wash – Pamolive Antibacterial Liquid Hand Wash Lime 250mL
23. Laundry detergent, liquid – Omo Front & Top Loader 2L
24. Dishwashing liquid – Morning Fresh Ultra Concentrate Lemon Dishwashing Liquid 900mL
25. Eggs, free range, 12 eggs – Pace Farm Free Range X Large 700g
26. Mince, beef, 500g
27. Apples, Granny Smith, 1kg pack
28. Bananas, Cavendish, loose, 1kg
29. Broccoli, loose, 1kg
The total cost includes specials:
Coles ($145.23), IGA ($142.79) and Woolworths ($141.83)