Influencer Andrew Tate has slammed the on-going investigation against him as a ‘witch hunt’ and expressed his hope that he can soon leave Romania as he and his brother appeared in court today.
The pair – who appeared in the Bucharest court at around 12pm local time – are currently awaiting trial on charges of human trafficking and creating a criminal gang to exploit women, allegations which they deny.
In August, the Tate brothers won an appeal to be released from house arrest. However, they were placed under judicial control, meaning their movement is restricted to Bucharest and the surrounding Ilfov County.
A decision over whether or not to maintain the judicial control measures currently in place on the brothers will be announced on Thursday, MailOnline understands.
They also appealed against the seizure of several high-value assets earlier in the year, including ten properties and 15 cars. The hearing on the asset seizures was postponed by the courts until November.
Influencer Andrew Tate and his brother Tristan (pictured outside court today) appeared in Romanian court today as they await trial on human trafficking charges
In August, the Tate brothers won an appeal in Bucharest to be released from house arrested and placed under judicial control
The Tate brothers were photographed leaving the court this afternoon with their legal team, flanked by security wearing ‘Tate’ branded t-shirts.
They walked and talked with journalists as they arrived, with Tate accusing the prosecuting attorney of being ‘some desperate nobody trying to make a name for himself off an imaginary things’ who is ‘basically a fan of ours’.
One reporter asked how his last few months under house arrest had been, and if he hoped he could leave Romania.
‘We’ll see,’ Tate said. ‘God willing. But things are moving in the correct direction. I think everybody now has understood that this began in January.
‘It’s been going on for a very long time,’ he added.
He went on to say there was no ‘video of an abused girl’ and ‘not a single statement against us’, before going on to attack the investigation as a ‘witch hunt’.
‘I think everybody understands what’s really happened here and it was a witch hunt,’ he said. ;And unfortunately, in life you cannot shine light without casting a shadow. If you get too big and too successful, people are going to come and try and attack you. But you have to roll with the punches, take the rough with the smooth.
‘And I am very sure this will all be concluded pretty quickly.’
Andrew and Tristan Tate were arrested on December 29, 2022 along with two women. All are suspected of human trafficking and forming an organised crime group, while one is suspected of rape.
DIICOT, the Romanian anti-organised crime agency, has accused the Tates of having recruited women through the ‘loverboy’ method and forcing them to create explicit content on websites like OnlyFans for their financial benefit.
Investigators have identified seven potential victims in the case.
Romanian officials also seized 29 assets belonging to the brothers, including 15 cars and 10 properties, as well as watches and sums of money, totalling almost $4 million.
They were officially charged on June 20 on charges of rape, human trafficking, and forming an organised crime group to sexually exploit women, and on August 4 they were placed under Judicial Control, restricting their movements.
They continue to deny the charges.
If you get too big and too successful, people are going to come and try and attack you,’ Tate told reporters on Tuesday. ‘But you have to roll with the punches, take the rough with the smooth. And I am very sure this will all be concluded pretty quickly.’
Today, the pair appeared before a court in the Romanian capital at 12pm local time. They are currently awaiting trial on charges of human trafficking and creating a criminal gang to exploit women, allegations which they deny
Andrew Tate touches his beard as he arrives at the Bucharest Tribunal today
A reporter also asked him about the seized assets, and whether he thought he would be able to recover them from the courts.
‘DIICOT took a lot of stuff, they took 15 cars and they took a lot of things of a lot of value. This is very strange for me as a Westerner,’ he said.
We don’t work this way in our countries. Police can’t just come and rob you and force you to open your safe and take all of your things at gunpoint.
‘Obviously, things are a bit different here. It’d be nice to get my things back. But all in all, I’m not too materialistic a person,’ he claimed.
Asked what the most valuable thing investigators had taken, Tate said: ‘Our freedom. Our peace of mind, but that’s come back now. We’re pretty stable and we understand exactly what’s really going on here.
‘And the whole world knows this garbage as well.’
He added: ‘Now they’ve seen the evidence put together by the DIICOT, judges keep letting me go. Isn’t that wonderful?… things moving in the right direction.’
Tristan Tate ruled out taking legal action against the country of Romania, but did say he intends to sue individuals.
‘I believe that Romania doesn’t have very much money as a nation, and I don’t need to take money away from schools and hospitals,’ he said, adding: ‘However, I will be taking legal action against individual people. Many individuals.’
He said he was not in a position to name the people he plans to sue.
Their latest court appearance in the Eastern European country comes as four British women are reportedly set to sue Andrew Tate after alleging he choked and coercively controlled them, with one claiming she was raped.
The self-proclaimed misogynist is said to have carried out the abuse between 2013 and 2016, before he rose to prominence on social media.
Each woman claims they were choked until the blood vessels in their eyes burst while one said the YouTuber once texted her saying ‘I love raping you’.
The hearing represented another opportunity for the brothers and the prosecution to present evidence. The pair were photographed leaving the court this afternoon with their legal team, flanked by security wearing ‘Tate’ branded t-shirts (pictured)
Tate denies the allegations and has threatened to pursue them for defamation.
Of the four women, three went to the police at the time but following a four-year investigation, the Crown Prosecution Service did not bring a charge.
The women now believe a civil case is their only option, according to The Sunday Times. They reportedly plan to sue Tate for personal injury and physical harm.
The claim is set to be made within the coming weeks.