Andy Murray ruled OUT of the Australian Open as he confirms his team were unable to find ‘workable quarantine’ to allow him into the country after being diagnosed with Covid-19
- Andy Murray has confirmed he will not travel to the Australian open this year
- The Scot was due to fly out to Melbourne last week before contracting Covid-19
- Organisers had been working with Murray, but no solution has been found
- The 33-year-old has reached Australian Open final five times, but has never won
Andy Murray described himself as ‘devastated’ after the door slammed shut on his hopes of playing in the Australian Open.
Having tested positive for Covid 12 days ago, he ran out of time to compete after being told on Friday that there could be no special quarantine dispensation, despite having completed his self-isolation at home.
It appears the tournament made efforts to find a compromise for its five-times finalist. But health authorities decided he would need to go into full lockdown for two weeks after arriving ahead of the February 8 start.
Andy Murray has confirmed he will miss the Australian Open after contracting Covid-19
Murray said: ‘Gutted to share that I won’t be flying out to Australia to compete at the Australian Open.
‘We’ve been in constant dialogue with Tennis Australia to try to find a solution which would allow some form of workable quarantine but we couldn’t make it work.
‘I want to thank everyone there for their efforts, I’m devastated not to be playing out in Australia — it’s a country and tournament that I love.’
He is at least feeling well after suffering only the mildest symptoms, but the timing in contracting the virus could hardly have been worse.
He pulled out of the season-opening tournament in Florida to minimise the chances of getting Covid, but still caught it while at home over Christmas.
Murray has appeared five times in the Australian Open final, but has never lifted the trophy
It is possible he caught it at Roehampton’s National Tennis Centre. During a busy festive period, the centre endured a mini-outbreak. Additional deep cleaning has been implemented as a result.
The 33-year-old Scot must now weigh up options about where he can play once the Australian Open is finished on February 21.
Two possible tournaments are in France, where non-EU citizens are now forced to quarantine for a week and athlete exemptions have been suspended. Rotterdam at the start of March could also be an option.
His cause for travelling to Australia has not been helped by controversies involving other players since their arrival a week ago.
Murray broke down in tears during a post-match conference at the Australian Open in 2019
The season’s first Grand Slam was a symbolic goal for Murray after his last visit in 2019, when an emotional press conference saw him on the verge of giving up on his long-term hip problems.
A resurfacing treatment has worked up to a point and he was in an optimistic frame of mind after winning two matches in the mini Battle of the Brits at Roehampton before Christmas.
Now there are limited options of hard-court tournaments before the start of the clay season — not his preferred surface.