Oleksandr Usyk and Anthony Joshua’s rematch is set to take place in May as Eddie Hearn admits he would ‘love’ the heavyweight showdown to be staged in London ahead of talks with the unified champion’s team next week
- Anthony Joshua is gearing up for a pivotal rematch with Oleksandr Usyk
- Usyk outclassed the Brit to take his unified heavyweight titles back in September
- Joshua immediately triggered his rematch clause and is now eyeing revenge
- Eddie Hearn expects the rematch to be held in May and wants it to be in London
Eddie Hearn has revealed Oleksandr Usyk and Anthony Joshua’s heavyweight rematch is likely to take place in May, with the promoter hoping to stage it in London.
Joshua suffered a unanimous points defeat when he first met Usyk back in September, failing to get close to the Ukrainian over 12 rounds and losing his unified heavyweight titles in the process.
He immediately triggered his rematch clause, only to recently flirt with the possibility of stepping aside to allow Usyk and Tyson Fury to battle it out for the undisputed crown.
Eddie Hearn says Oleksandr Usyk and Anthony Joshua’s rematch is likely to take place in May
Joshua was outclassed by Usyk when the pair first locked horns in September of last year
However, with talk of that undisputed showdown now over, AJ turns his attention back to his date of destiny with Usyk, a bout he cannot afford to lose.
And Hearn, the Brit’s long-time promoter, has pinpointed May as the expected date ahead of talks with their opponent’s team next week.
‘We’re looking at potential sites, we’ve got meetings next week around the world to look at where that fight might take place,’ Hearn told iFL TV.
‘I’d love it to take place in London. I think it’ll take place in May, and we’ll speak to (Team Usyk) and get that nailed on, and hopefully get it announced before the end of the month.’
AJ immediately triggered his rematch clause, and Hearn is hoping to stage it in London
Joshua was reportedly demanding close to £15million to step aside and clear the path for Usyk vs Fury, only for negotiations between the three camps to collapse last month.
Fury is instead set to defend his WBC title against mandatory challenger Dillian Whyte, who would also have required a step-aside fee for the undisputed fight to go ahead.
Yet the Gypsy King is adamant that Joshua’s ‘greed’ explained why talks broke down, insisting his domestic rival knows he can’t beat him or Usyk.
‘He (Joshua) agreed to take $15 million to step aside from rematch with Usyk,’ Fury said on Friday.
‘Then he demanded another $5 million because greedy coward that he is he knows he can’t beat Usyk so he wouldn’t be getting the biggest bucks even if he plucked up the courage to fight me.
‘Basically Joshua’s a busted flush. There’s still no sign of him taking on Usyk again. He doesn’t want the fight because he gets knocked out second time and he’s finished.
‘And that’s the big fight with me in the dustbin. even though the world knows I’ll fight anyone.’