Argentina 0-0 Chile Copa America Final RESULT: Lionel Messi left distraught after second shoot-out defeat in a row
- Chile win on penalties after goalless draw
- Vidal misses first penalty in shootout, Messi also misses
- Defending champions Chile reduced to 10 men on 29 minutes
- Lionel Messi caused problems and Marcelo Diaz cynically stopped him twice to earn red card
- Marcos Rojo harshly given straight red after 43 minutes
- In a game of few chances, Gonzalo Higuain spurned the best one
- Argentina XI: Romero; Mercado, Otamendi, Funes Mori, Rojo; Mascherano, Biglia, Banega; Messi, Higuain, Di Maria
- Chile XI: Bravo; Isla, Medel, Jara, Beausejour; Aranguiz, Diaz, Vidal; Sanchez, Fuenzalida, Vargas
- Read: Lionel Messi sensationally quits Argentina team after losing third final in three years
Lionel Messi sat down on the substitutes bench, tears in his eyes. The wait goes on. He may never now win a trophy with Argentina. And this time, he has to share some of the blame.
Messi took Argentina’s first penalty in the shoot-out, after Arturo Vidal had missed the opening spot-kick for Chile. He fired right, Bravo went left. But the ball sailed high, over the crossbar and into the stands.
When Claudio Bravo made an excellent save from Lucas Biglia’s penalty, the game was up, with Francisco Silva converting Chile’s fifth to win the Copa America Centenario, just as they did last year.
Catch up with all the action as it happened below…