News, Culture & Society

Argument between two women over the coronavirus ends with one being arrested and one in hospital


January 25

– Three men aged 43, 53, and 35 who had recently travelled to China are confirmed to have contracted the disease.

– Two flew in from Wuhan while the other arrived in Sydney from Shenzhen, south China.

– They are being treated in isolation at Westmead Hospital and are in stable condition.

January 27

– A 21-year-old woman is identified as the fourth person to test positive for the illness in NSW.

– The woman, a student at UNSW, flew into Sydney International Airport on flight MU749 on January 23 and presented to the emergency department 24 hours later after developing flu-like symptoms.

– She is being treated in isolation at Westmead Hospital.


January 25

– A Chinese national aged in his 50s becomes the first confirmed case of the coronavirus in Australia.

– The man flew to Melbourne on China Southern flight CZ321 from Wuhan via Guangzhou on January 19.

– He is now in quarantined isolation at Monash Hospital in Clayton in Melbourne’s east.

January 29

– A Victorian man in his 60s is diagnosed with the coronavirus.

– He became unwell on January 23 – two days after returning from the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak.

– The man was confirmed as positive on January 29 and was subsequently seen by doctors at the Monash Medical Centre. He was assessed as being well enough to stay at home.

January 30

– A woman in her 40s is found to have coronavirus.

– She was visiting from China and mostly spent time with her family.

– She is being treated at Royal Melbourne Hospital. 


January 29

Queensland confirms its first case after a 44-year-old Chinese national wass diagnosed with the virus.

He is being treated at Gold Coast University Hospital.


January 30

– Two Australians have been confirmed as having the virus in Wuhan itself. Australia has raised the travel alert level to ‘do not travel’ for the city of Wuhan – the epicentre of the outbreak – and for the entire Hubei province.

– Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy says unless people have contact with someone who is unwell and has come from that part of China, there is no need for current concern.