News, Culture & Society

Armed police hunt for man wielding a machete after nearby school is locked down

Armed police hunt for man wielding a machete after nearby school is locked down to keep children safe

  • Students at Brighton Aldridge Community Academy kept inside during search
  • Officers received a report of a man with a weapon in woodland just before 3pm 
  • Parents spoke of their ‘panic’ after receiving a ‘vague’ message from the school 

Armed police are on the hunt for man wielding a machete as a nearby school has been locked down to keep children safe.

Students at Brighton Aldridge Community Academy were kept inside while Sussex Police officers, assisted by a helicopter, searched the area.

The force received a report of a man with a weapon in woodland in Lewes Road just before 3pm on Thursday.

No one was threatened or harmed, police said. 

Armed police are on the hunt for man wielding a machete as a nearby school has been locked down to keep children safe

Students at Brighton Aldridge Community Academy were kept inside while officers, assisted by a helicopter, searched the area, Sussex Police said

Students at Brighton Aldridge Community Academy were kept inside while officers, assisted by a helicopter, searched the area, Sussex Police said

The force received a report of a man with a weapon in woodland in Lewes Road just before 3pm on Thursday

The force received a report of a man with a weapon in woodland in Lewes Road just before 3pm on Thursday

Children were escorted out of the school by officers and told to avoid the woodlands where the suspected was reported to be on their way home. 

Police are continuing to search the area and carry out inquiries.

A ‘vague’ message had been sent to parents earlier this afternoon, sparking scenes of panic, according to the Argus.

One told the paper: ‘The school sent a vague text which panicked all parents who then all rushed down including myself.’

The message read: ‘All Year 9 Students have been asked to remain in the school building until at least 3.50 due to an incident in the local community. Updates to follow.’

Chief Superintendent of Sussex Police and Divisional Commander for Brighton and Hove, Nick May said: ‘This incident is now concluded safely. 

‘Thank you to the pupils, staff and parents at the school for their understanding. Our first priority is always public safety.’ 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.