Italian actress Asia Argento says Harvey Weinstein was taking his first steps into his ‘inevitable descent to hell’ as the disgraced film producer turned himself into police to face multiple rape charges.
Weinstein surrendered to authorities in New York on Friday on multiple rape charges – months after he was toppled from Hollywood’s most powerful ranks by scores of women accusing him of sexual assault.
Argento was one of the first women to come forward last year and publicly accuse Weinstein of raping her at the Cannes film festival in 1997 when she was 21 while working on the film B. Monkey.
‘Today Harvey Weinstein will take his first step on his inevitable descent to hell. We, the women, finally have real hope for justice,’ Argento tweeted as Weinstein turned himself in.
Italian actress Asia Argento, above in April with her boyfriend Anthony Bourdain, said on Friday that Harvey Weinstein was taking his first steps into hell as the disgraced film producer turned himself into police
Argento’s chef boyfriend, Anthony Bourdain, was full of praise for the actress for initially going on record about her Weinstein rape allegations.
‘When you went on record, @AsiaArgento you were sure this day would never come, that you would be crushed, that you were alone. And yet you did it anyway. #perpwalk,’ he tweeted.
Bourdain also tweeted an image of a prison food diary, saying: ‘What’s on the menu for #Weinstein’.
Argento repeated her accusations in an emotional speech at the Cannes festival on Saturday in which she condemned Weinstein.
She also took aim at the film industry as she labelled Cannes Weinstein’s ‘hunting ground’.
‘Even tonight, sitting among you, there are those who have still to be held accountable for their conduct against women,’ she said.
‘You know who you are. But most importantly we know who you are. And we’re not going allow you to get away with it any longer.
Weinstein surrendered to authorities in New York on Friday on multiple rape charges
The 66-year-old disgraced movie mogul was arrested Friday for the alleged sexual assault of two women who previously shared their stories with the New Yorker back in October
‘I want to make a prediction. Harvey Weinstein will never be welcomed here ever again. He will live in disgrace, shunned by a film community that once embraced him and covered up for his crimes.’
Weinstein has ‘unequivocally denied’ all allegations of non-consensual sex.
The 66-year-old disgraced movie mogul was arrested, processed and booked for the alleged sexual assault of two women who previously shared their stories with the New Yorker back in October.
One of those women, Lucia Evans, claimed that she was forced to perform oral sex on Weinstein at the then-Miramax offices in Tribeca.
The second woman worked with Weinstein when she claims he forced himself on her in a hotel, and in that story described the ‘horror, disbelief, and shame’ she felt after the alleged assault.
Evans confirmed the fact that she was one of the woman who helped bring charged against Weinstein in an interview with The New Yorker on Thursday, saying: ‘At a certain point, you have to think about the greater good of humanity, of womankind.’
Argento repeated her accusations in an emotional speech at Cannes on Saturday in which she condemned Weinstein and described the festival as his ‘hunting ground’