News, Culture & Society

Australia BANS pure caffeine supplements after tragic death of 21-year-old musician 

‘The dangers should not be underestimated’: Australia BANS pure caffeine supplements after tragic death of 21-year-old musician

  • Lachlan Foote was one day shy of his 22nd birthday when he was found dead 
  • Coroner’s report concluded he died from ingesting lethal amount of caffeine 
  • Government announced it will now be banning the sale of pure caffeine powder 

Australia is banning the sale of pure caffeine powder after a young man died of an overdose.

Lachlan Foote was one day shy of his 22nd birthday when his parents found him dead on the bathroom floor of their Blue Mountains home on New Year’s Day 2018. 

He died from acute caffeine toxicity in early 2018 after ingesting one teaspoon of powder.

On Friday, Minister for Youth and Sport Richard Colbeck said the government was determined to prevent something like this occurring again.

Lachlan Foote was one day shy of his 22nd birthday when his parents found him dead on the bathroom floor of their Blue Mountains home on New Year’s Day 2018 

‘The dangers of pure caffeine powder cannot be underestimated.’

The ban will not affect products such as coffee, energy drinks and sports foods, which have much lower concentrations of caffeine.

Senator Colbeck cautioned young people against buying caffeine supplements online.

‘Australians are also reminded to be cautious about the products they may be purchasing from overseas or online, which may not be safe,’ he said.

Pure caffeine levels in listed medicines have also been restricted to limit the risk of accidental overdoses.

Just one teaspoon of the readily available product can contain the equivalent of up to 50 cups of coffee – more than enough to kill. 

Lachlan Foote (pictured right with his parents and brother) found dead on the bathroom floor of their Blue Mountains home on New Year's Day 2018. Now his father Nigel wants the caffeine powder he unknowingly overdosed on banned

Lachlan Foote (pictured right with his parents and brother) found dead on the bathroom floor of their Blue Mountains home on New Year’s Day 2018. Now his father Nigel wants the caffeine powder he unknowingly overdosed on banned

Mr Foote said caffeine powder could be easily bought online (pictured) and Australian food regulators were failing in their duty to protect customers

Mr Foote said caffeine powder could be easily bought online (pictured) and Australian food regulators were failing in their duty to protect customers

Following Lachlan Foote’s death, his father Nigel spoke out calling for the deadly additive banned.

The grieving father said it was likely his son had no idea the product was dangerous in all but the smallest of doses. 

‘It appears the pure caffeine powder was bought by someone else and shared, so it’s very likely that Lachlan never got to read the warning label on the packet and was unaware of its potency,’ he said. 

More to come

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.