News, Culture & Society

Australian athletics team forced into isolation after positive Covid-19 case in the Olympian village

Australian athletics team are forced into lockdown after a positive Covid case in the Olympian village

  • All 63 athletes on Australian team confined to hotel rooms and will be tested 
  • Will be tested for Covid-19 and must stay inside their rooms until further notice
  • US pole vaulter Sam Kendricks tested positive and will withdraw from games
  • Pole vaulter Kurtis Marschall reportedly only close contact on Australian team

Australia’s athletics team have been forced into self-isolation and ordered to get tested for Covid-19 after being exposed to a positive case in the Olympic village.

All 63 athletes on the Australian team have been confined to their hotel rooms until further notice after US pole vaulter Sam Kendricks tested positive to the virus.   

Pole vaulter Kurtis Marschall is believed to be the only member of the Australian team classed as a close contact of Kendricks, The Herald Sun reported.

All 63 members of the Australian Olympic athletics team have been forced into self-isolation after US pole vaulter Sam Kendricks (left) tested positive to Covid-19

The US Olympic and Paralympic Committee said Kendricks – a two-time pole vault world champion – had been transferred into self-isolation and would withdraw from the games.

‘We are saddened to confirm that Sam Kendricks tested positive for Covid-19 and will not compete in the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020,’ a USOPC spokesman said.

‘In alignment with local rules and protocols, he has been transferred to a hotel to be placed in isolation and is being supported by the USATF and USOPC staff.’ 

Kendricks won the bronze medal at the 2016 Olympics and took gold at the last two world championships. He holds the American record at 6.06 meters.

The opening heats of the pole vault event is due to start at 10am on Saturday. 

The positive case comes a day after Italian rower Bruno Rosetti missed out on racing in the men’s coxless four on Wednesday after testing positive to the virus.

The 33-year-old’s sample was taken on Tuesday and confirmed positive on Wednesday morning, with Rosetti then moved into in isolation. 

 More to come 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk