A ‘beautiful’ eight-year-old boy on holiday at a luxury resort in Fiji was tragically electrocuted by a garden light while chasing frogs, hotel guests who discovered his body have revealed.
Cairo Winitana died on Thursday on the grounds of the Club Wyndham Denarau Island resort, where the family from Sydney was staying.
New details have emerged that the five-star facility had a previous electrical safety problem, which resulted in an Australian man getting shocked there recently.
New details have emerged about how eight-year-old Cairo Winitana (pictured) died in a freak accident at a luxury resort in Fiji
Cairo was found unresponsive in a flower bed in the resort and was rushed to hospital, where he was declared dead.
It is believed he was shocked by a live current coming from a lamp post, which a hotel source said was a garden light, 9News reported.
The resort bills itself as luxurious, but safety concerns have reportedly been raised there before.
A photo taken by an Australian man in 2022 shows light fixtures in the resort that were wet from the rain.
The man claimed he got a powerful electric shock after touching one of the fixtures and told staff about it, but he doesn’t know if the problem was fixed.
Daily Mail Australia has contacted the resort for comment.
An Australian man claimed he got a powerful electric shock after touching one of the fixtures (pictured) on the resort grounds
Cairo’s heartbroken mother in the wake of the horrific tragedy penned a gut-wrenching post vowing to love him forever.
A New Zealand citizen, Cairo lived in Australia with his mother Amber De Thierry, father Clarke Winitana and an older brother and younger sister.
Ms De Thierry issued a heartbreaking tribute to her son, sharing a black and white photo of her kissing him on the cheek when he was a baby.
‘I loved you, my son, from the moment I found out I was carrying you and will love you forever more, my beautiful, beautiful blue eyes,’ she wrote.
Cairo Winitana, 8, was tragically killed while holidaying with his family at a resort in Fiji
Cairo’s mother Amber De Thierry and father Clarke Winitana (pictured) now face the daunting task of bringing their son home
Friends rallied around the devastated mother as they sent their condolences and support.
‘My heart aches for you, our girl. We are here.. Always,’ Matekitewai Wana said.
Dani Hibberd added: ‘Our hearts go out to all your family. Soar high little man.’
Cairo’s devastated family now face the daunting task of bringing his body home, with loved ones setting up a GoFundMe to help them cover the cost of travel and funeral expenses as they grieve the loss of their son.
Cairo’s mum Amber De Thierry shared a black and white photo of her kissing him on the cheek when he was a baby
‘As you could all imagine, this is a very devastating loss for our family,’ relative Glenys Wana wrote in the fundraiser page.
‘We humbly invite you to offer support for both Amber and Clarke as they navigate through this unimaginable nightmare they are now forced to live with.
‘We all know Clarke and Amber to be the most loving, kind-hearted and genuine people.’
‘They are always willing to offer support to others in need, we sincerely thank you for all the support you are able to offer to them.
The Club Wyndham Denarau Island resort in Fiji, where Cairo was found near a flower garden on Thursday (pictured)
A police investigation has been launched, with investigators saying earlier they were looking into whether Cairo’s death was the result of electrocution.
‘Initial information gathered is that the child was allegedly electrocuted, however the post-mortem will have to confirm that,’ Fiji police said.
It is understood electrocution has now been confirmed as the cause of death.
The resort has confirmed it is assisting investigators.
‘We have expressed our heartfelt condolences to the family and our thoughts remain with them at this time,’ a Wyndham Destinations Asia Pacific spokesperson said.
‘Our management team is currently conducting a thorough investigation into the incident and co-operating with the police and authorities.’
New Zealand’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade is providing assistance to Cairo’s family.
Cairo was rushed to Nadi Hospital (pictured) where a nurse then contacted police