Two more Australians in China are diagnosed with the deadly coronavirus – as the number of cases inside the country reaches EIGHT
- Total number of coronavirus cases involving Australia is now nine, officials say
- Two nationals were diagnosed with the disease in China’s Guangdong province
- Seven other people have tested positive in NSW, Victoria and Queensland
- Authorities are scrambling to check everyone who was on board a Tiger flight
- Infected Queensland man flew from Melbourne to Gold Coast on January 27
Two Australian citizens in China have been diagnosed with the deadly coronavirus, as the number of cases inside Australia hits eight.
Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt said on Thursday that both nationals remain in China, and are receiving treatment in Guangdong province.
A Chinese woman in Melbourne was confirmed to have the virus on Thursday, the eighth case in Australia.
Meanwhile, concerns are growing over a Tiger Airlines domestic flight which an infected man boarded last week.
Authorities are seeking to track down passengers on board Flight TT566 from Melbourne to the Gold Coast, on January 27.
Daily life Wuhan,the Chinese city where the coronavirus is believed to have started earlier this month, and medical protection equipment is now in vogue
Australian authorities are trying to track down everyone who was on board a Tiger Airways flight from Melbourne to the Gold Coast on January 27, as an infected man was a passenger
The man came from Wuhan – the Chinese city at the epicentre of the virus outbreak – and flew in to Melbourne via Singapore on January 22.
He spent five days in the city before flying north to the Gold Coast, where he became increasingly unwell at his accommodation and called an ambulance.
He is in isolation in hospital.
Queensland Health Minister Steven Miles said authorities were trying to track down everyone on board.
He said anyone on the flight should contact Queensland Health immediately for advice, but there was no need for panic.
The government is examining eight members of that man’s tour group. Four are unwell and are being tested today.
Meanwhile, in New South Wales, authorities fear as many as 16 other Australians in New South Wales may have contracted the disease.
Four people there have been diagnosed with the disease, and two in Victoria.
The Federal government is planning to quarantine Australians evacuated from Wuhan on isolated Christmas Island.
More than 162 people have died around the world from the virus. Above, a Wuhan courier has his temperature tested
Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt said two Australian citizens are fighting the disease in China’s Guangdong province. His government will quarantine people evacuated from Wuhan on Christmas Island
The government currently it runs a detention facility which only currently shelters a four person Sri Lankan asylum seeker family.
The disease, which has killed at least 162 people around the world, is believed to have come from Wuhan, a city of 11 million people.
The virus is believed to have spread from the Huanan Wholesale Seafood Market. Such ‘wet’ markets sell meat and seafood alongside live animals such as dogs, rats, snakes, civets and supposedly koalas.
The proximity of people to live and dead animals makes it easy for humans to contract viruses.
The SARS virus which broke out in 2003 also likely started in wet markets.
SARS was originally hosted by bats which infected other animals. Those animals transmitted SARS to humans.
CORONAVIRUS CASES IN AUSTRALIA
NEW SOUTH WALES: 4
Four people in NSW have been diagnosed with coronavirus, including three men and one woman.
- Three men aged 43, 53, and 35 who had recently travelled to China are confirmed to have contracted the disease.
- Two flew in from Wuhan while the other arrived in Sydney from Shenzhen, south China.
- They are being treated in isolation at Westmead Hospital and are in stable condition.
- A 21-year-old woman is identified as the fourth person to test positive for the illness in NSW.
- The woman, a student at UNSW, flew into Sydney International Airport on flight MU749 on January 23 and presented to the emergency department 24 hours later after developing flu-like symptoms.
- She is being treated in isolation at Westmead Hospital.
- A Chinese national aged in his 50s becomes the first confirmed case of the coronavirus in Australia.
- The man flew to Melbourne on China Southern flight CZ321 from Wuhan via Guangzhou on January 19.
- He is now in quarantined isolation at Monash Hospital in Clayton in Melbourne’s east.
- A Victorian man in his 60s is diagnosed with the coronavirus.
- He became unwell on January 23 – two days after returning from the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak.
- The man was confirmed as positive on January 29 and was subsequently seen by doctors at the Monash Medical Centre. He was assessed as being well enough to stay at home.
- Queensland confirms its first case after a 44-year-old Chinese national wass diagnosed with the virus.
- He is being treated at Gold Coast University Hospital.
CHINA: 2, January 30: Two Australians have been confirmed as having the virus in Wuhan itself. Australia has raised the travel alert level to ‘do not travel’ for the city of Wuhan – the epicentre of the outbreak – and for the entire Hubei province.
Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy says unless people have contact with someone who is unwell and has come from that part of China, there is no need for current concern.