News, Culture & Society

Australian Huawei executive attacks $51billion NBN network as ‘catastrophe’

Australian Huawei executive slams $51billion NBN network as a ‘catastrophe’ as it fails to deliver high-speed broadband to one million users

  • An Australian Huawei executive has slammed the National Broadband Network 
  • Huawei Australia Chief Tech Officer David Soldani said it is a ‘catastrophe’ 
  • He said 5G technology is the best way to deliver fast internet to consumers 
  • The company was banned from the Australian 5G network roll-out in 2018 

Huawei Australia Chief Technology Officer David Soldani launched the attack on the Government’s handling of the $51billion project at an event on Tuesday, labeling it a ‘catastrophe’ 

The National Broadband Network has been slammed by an Australian Huawei executive who claims it has failed to deliver high speed internet to its one million users. 

Huawei Australia Chief Technology Officer David Soldani launched the attack on the Government’s handling of the $51billion project at an event on Tuesday, labeling it a ‘catastrophe.’ 

‘The NBN project has failed and Australians needs to stop expecting NBN Co to deliver high-speed broadband to all Australians – it is just not going to happen,’ Soldani told delegates at the 5G Business Summit in Sydney. 

‘Australia has somehow managed to invest $51 billion on a network that can’t even deliver 50Mbps to around one million of its fixed-broadband end-user premises,’ he said. 

Mr Soldani claimed that the actual cost of the project is even higher, saying some reports suggest NBN Co. is paying Telstra billions in subscriber migration and lease payments in the near future. 

‘We have spent around $10,000 for every activated premises on the NBN Fixed Wireless network and yet hundreds of sites are only delivering 6Mbps or less at peak-time to end-users – worse speeds than many were getting on old ADSL services.’

He also said that with neither side of government indicating they would assign additional funding to the project in May’s federal election, hundreds of thousands of Australians had no chance of getting their speeds improved. 

Huawei is one of the world’s biggest telecommunications companies, being the second largest manufacturer of smartphones in the world behind Samsung.   

The Chinese technology giant was banned in 2018 from participating in the rollout of 5G infrastructure in Australia by the Turnbull government on security grounds. 

'Australia has somehow managed to invest $51 billion on a network that can't even deliver 50Mbps to around one million of its fixed-broadband end-user premises,' he said

‘Australia has somehow managed to invest $51 billion on a network that can’t even deliver 50Mbps to around one million of its fixed-broadband end-user premises,’ he said 

The United States has also previously cited concerns and stepped up measures in May this year when they banned Huawei from doing business with U.S. companies over alleged violations of trade restrictions against Iran. 

Mr Soldani argued that 5G fixed wireless technology is the best way to provide consumers with fast internet where the NBN had failed, and Huawei can provide the infrastructure. 

‘It makes no sense for Australia to continue to exclude the world’s leading 5G technology provider from the marketplace. The technology is already there to solve the challenges Australia is facing – there is no doubt about that,’ he said. 

 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.