‘It would hurt us a lot’: Aymeric Laporte admits Champions League ban would be a disaster for Manchester City but insists he’s ‘very happy’ at the Etihad and won’t leave even if suspension is upheld
- Manchester City were handed two-year ban from European competition by Uefa
- City were handed punishment by for alleged breach of Financial Fair Play rules
- The club have appealed ban in the hope of overturning the punishment
- Aymeric Laporte has dismissed possibility of him leaving the club this summer
Manchester City defender Aymeric Laporte has admitted a two-year ban from Champions League football would ‘hurt’ the club.
City were handed a two-year ban by UEFA in February after European football’s governing body found the club guilty of breaching Financial Fair Play rules.
The club have appealed the ruling but reports have suggested a host of their star players could leave in search of European football elsewhere.
Aymeric Laporte has admitted a two-year Champions League ban would ‘hurt’ Man City
The centre-back insists he is ‘happy’ at City and will stay at the club even if ban is upheld
Laporte says he’s using a personal training programme to stay fit during coronavirus lockdown
Laporte was one of the names linked with a move but the centre-back is adamant he will stay at the Etihad, despite admitting a ban would damage the club.
‘We are waiting for a final decision,’ he said to The Times. ‘We are going to see what happens next season.
‘Obviously it would hurt us a lot if we aren’t in the Champions League next season.
‘I am very happy here at Manchester City. I am enjoying my football here. We are doing great things here. In the last two years we have won eight trophies.’
Laporte suffered a serious knee injury in August but returned to action in February
Laporte has spent the last week at home, along with the rest of his City team-mates after the Premier League season was suspended until at least April 30 following the outbreak of coronavirus.
The Spaniard has been using the time to maintain his fitness with a personal training plan issued by the club and he says it’s important players maintain their professionalism during the suspension.
‘That’s (a personal training schedule) the best thing for everyone, that we do it every day,’ Laporte said.
‘They trust in you and you have to be professional. You have to follow what they say and we have to be responsible in this case.
‘When we return to normality, when we start training again outside, we have to be ready.