A toddler was left with severe burns to his hands after he allegedly touched a washing machine which had overheated to 98 degrees Celsius.
Kelly Titmus says her son Walter is still having treatment eight months after the Beko washer burned and blistered his hands at their Cambridgeshire home.
Walter, who was just seven months old at the time, screamed in pain after grabbing hold of the washing machine to help him stand up.
‘Screaming in pain’: Kelly Titmus says her son Walter (both pictured) is still having treatment eight months after being burned by a Beko washer she says was 98 degrees Celsius (208F)
He was taken to hospital and his mother claims an infra-red thermometer she used to test the heat of the washing machine a few days later read 98 degrees Celsius (208.4 Fahrenheit).
Mrs Titmus, 34, and her husband Wayne, 29, are now taking legal action against the domestic appliance and electronics brand owned by the Turkish conglomerate, Koç Holding.
The 34-year-old said: ‘I heard Walter scream so I quickly picked him up and when I touched the glass it was boiling hot – it burned the palm of Walter’s right hand and the fingertips on his left.
‘Wayne and I rushed him to A&E because Walter’s skin was so raw and exposed.
‘It was a horrible time for all of us, but particularly distressing for Walter who was screaming in pain.’
The Beko WM74165W washing machine was running on a baby or toddler setting at the time, which extends the washing time and uses extra rinsing steps to wash youngster’s clothes.
‘Distressing’: Walter, who was just seven months old at the time, screamed in pain after grabbing hold of the washing machine with his hand (pictured) to help him stand up
Heat testing documents show the glass should not reach more than 78.5 degrees.
The couple said the reason they are taking action against Beko is to try to stop other children from being injured.
Mrs Titmus said: ‘We would like to stress that we don’t want any other toddler to become injured as a result of hot glass reaching the same temperatures.
‘All parents should be aware that their Beko washing machines can reach up to 98 degrees Celsius.
‘Above all, we want Beko to admit liability to a faulty washing machine, to put warnings on the doors and for no other family to go through what we did.
Walter, now 15 months old, is still undergoing treatment for the burns and it’s not yet clear whether he will be left with any permanent injuries.
Mrs Titmus said: ‘When I complained to Beko they said it was an “unfortunate accident” and that there was no legal requirement to put a warning on the machine stating the glass will get that hot.
‘They also said the “baby clothing” setting was an uncommon wash and they don’t expect toddlers to touch the washing machine.
Mrs Titmus, 34, and her husband Wayne, 29, are now taking legal action against the domestic appliance and electronics brand owned by the Turkish conglomerate, Koç Holding
‘I was simply brushed off, there was no apology or offer of a replacement – they didn’t even come out to test it, as is protocol with many other washing machine companies when an accident has occurred, they just said there was nothing wrong.’
A Beko spokesman told MailOnline: ‘We take customer safety very seriously and always seek to establish the facts. Unfortunately, despite our requests the family’s solicitor has not allowed us access to the washing machine to enable us to carry out testing.
‘They have also failed to provide any evidence to support their claim that the washing machine door reached 98 degrees Celsius, or any medical evidence of the injury to Walter. As a result, it is difficult for to move forward with the family in this matter or us to provide any further comment on this issue.’
Associate Solicitor at Express Solicitors, Jonathan Flattery, who is representing the family, said: ‘Walter suffered serious burns to his hands after only momentarily touching the washing machine glass.
‘The family have shown the glass can reach temperatures of 98 degrees Celsius, well in excess of the manufacturer’s maximum. We consider the glass should not have reached such high temperatures and inadequate safety warnings were provided.
‘Consequently Walter suffered serious burns and we are concerned that it could happen to other children.’