Bernard Tomic breaks his silence to make shocking revelation about video of him being brutally beaten by two thugs outside a Gold Coast tattoo parlour
- Disturbing footage shows tennis star being assaulted by two men
- Tomic defends himself against barrage of kicks and punches
- Star has spoken out about the video for the first time
Tennis star Bernard Tomic has revealed a striking detail about the disturbing video of him being beaten by two men as he opened up about the footage for the first time after it went viral on social media.
The 16-second clip shows the 30-year-old lying on his back and trying to protect his face as the attackers stand over him and land a series of kicks and blows, with one of the men trying to drag him to his feet.
Tomic, who was once ranked as high as No.17 in the world, appears to have been cornered and bashed by the men, whose identities remain unknown.
The footage was reportedly taken outside a tattoo parlour on the Gold Coast. In it, one man is heard telling Tomic to ‘get up, ya dog’.
Tomic addressed the footage for the first time in a video he posted on his Instagram account on Saturday night.
‘I’m here in Istanbul, Turkey, flying to the USA and yeah, I haven’t been on Instagram in a couple of months, thought I’d jump on and talk about this video that’s been circulating,’ he tells his followers.
‘It’s so funny because that happened, like, five or six years ago, so I have no idea why this is all going on now.’
In the video, one man is heard telling Tomic – seen in the grey tracksuit – to ‘get up ya dog’ before unsuccessfully attempting to pull the tennis star to his feet.
Daily Mail Australia has contacted Queensland Police for comment.
Tomic was playing in a tournament in Turkey when he broke his silence about the footage.
Tomic (pictured with girlfriend Keely Hannah) claims the video of him being bashed was filmed ‘five or six years ago’
He lost in three sets to Nick Hardt of the Dominican Republic to be knocked out in the second round of the Challenger Istanbul event.
The Australian is currently ranked 292 in the world and is trying to return to the sport’s top flight after falling to as low as 825.
He began his climb back from that career worst ranking by winning three tournaments in the last quarter of 2022.
Despite that, he was earlier this year denied a wildcard entry to the Australian Open, missing the tournament for the first time since 2008.
The snub also led to his long-running feud with fellow Aussie Nick Krygios reigniting.
The tennis star (pictured at the 2022 Australian Open) said he has ‘no idea’ why the footage has suddenly gone viral on social media
When one Twitter user suggested Tomic deserved a wildcard at Melbourne Park, Kyrgios responded: ‘Hahahahaha NO HE DOESN’T.’
The pair’s colourful history includes the suggestion they sort out their differences in a boxing ring as well as a ‘winner takes all’ tennis match worth $1million (£512,000).
Tomic reacted to being snubbed for a wildcard at his home grand slam tournament by saying he’d use the setback as motivation.
‘I’m not expecting any favours. I’m going to prove my point and earn my way,’ he said.
‘I understand Tennis Australia has made their decision. It’s good to see the young tennis players getting an opportunity.
‘I’m at a place in my life where I don’t complain anymore. I’m focused and I’ve been training hard. I’ll let my tennis do the talking.’