If you’re like me, you love Carpenters songs. But perhaps they were before your time. Who were the Carpenters?
Karen and Richard Carpenter were a brother and sister duo best known in the ’70s and early ’80s for their catchy tunes and Karen’s buttery-soft voice. Karen herself suffered from anorexia nervosa which eventually led to her untimely death in 1983, but her recordings survive her, and we are able to enjoy her songs long after her passing.
There are several fan favorites and many varying lists of which songs were the best and which ones were ranked on top of the charts. But I’m going to give you my own personal list of faves, and perhaps you’ll agree. Walk with me down memory lane when your mom did the chores while singing with the Carpenters.
The Best Carpenters Songs (In No Particular Order)
- (They Long to Be) Close to You – Let’s face it, this is a classic. We can all relate to the words of this song, and likely that’s why it has enjoyed such success. Who doesn’t want to be close to their crush with stars in their eyes?
- Top of the World – As far as catchy tunes go, this one is sure to be stuck in your head all day. But it’s such a happy song, you’re almost excited to sing it to yourself! Despite its somewhat dated arrangement, Karen’s voice makes up for it in spades.
- Yesterday Once More – It’s pretty much guaranteed this song played on every radio in the 1970’s. You might not recognize the title, but you’ll surely remember the lyrics shing-a-ling-a-linging throughout your head. And let’s face it, your day just got better because of it.
- Rainy Days and Mondays – Who doesn’t love a good song that hits you right in the feels? This one is sure to do that and more. Rainy days and Mondays always get me down too.
- It’s Going to Take Some Time – This has to be the reason for the success of the Carpenters, their amazing vocalist, and relatable lyrics. Sometimes it just takes some time to mend yourself. Be patient, work on yourself before you try to please anyone else.
- I Just Fall in Love Again – Karen’s heartfelt singing in this song makes you want to fall in love with someone. Ah, there is nothing like romantic songs playing when you’re with the one you love. This one will have you pulling that special someone in for a slow dance.
- Superstar – This song is haunting, but then has a happy chorus, capturing the ups and downs of love and missing that special someone when they’re gone. It’s bittersweet listening to this song today, knowing Karen Carpenter is gone.
- We’ve Only Just Begun – If ever there was a classic Carpenters song, it would be this one. Chances are if you’ve heard any song by the Carpenters, it would be this offering, a song that begins at a wedding and looks forward to a lifetime of love. What is better than starting a life with the one you adore?
Saving the Best for Last
In my opinion, the best offering the Carpenters have to give is their Christmas Collection. This album has been a family favorite for as long as I can remember, playing endlessly through many, many Christmas pasts. I’m sure we’re not the only ones!
If you’ve been looking for amazing holiday music, look no further than the Carpenters who bring Karen’s voice and Richard’s piano to your favorite Christmas songs. You will not be disappointed.