News, Culture & Society

Bill Shorten walks past Showgirls in Sydney on day Christian Porter denies rape allegations

Bill Shorten is spotted in Sydney’s Kings Cross after popular columnist called on him to RESIGN just because an unsubstantiated rape allegation was made against him – as Christian Porter says: ‘I know how he felt’

  •  Former ALP leader snapped as walks past famous Kings Cross strip joint
  •  Bill Shorten faced sexual assault allegations dating back years in 2014 
  •  Attorney-General Christian Porter says he now knows how Shorten felt

Former Labor leader Bill Shorten has been spotted on a walk through Sydney’s Kings Cross on the day federal Attorney-General Christian Porter expressed empathy for him.

Earlier in the day, columnist Jessica Irvine claimed on the Today Show that he should not stay in federal parliament because of the 2014 allegations.

‘We need to change the standard of behaviour [of politicians],’ said Irvine. ‘We do not want people who have been accused of such things [being allowed to stay in parliament].’

Bill Shorten seens outside Showgirls in Kings Cross as he strolls through Sydney

The former Opposition leader dealt with historic sexual assault claims in 2014

The former Opposition leader dealt with historic sexual assault claims in 2014 

 As Shorten had been forced to do, Porter denied the truth of claims he had raped a teenage girl while attending a debating contest at Sydney University 33 years ago. 

Mr Porter today said he ‘now knew how the former Opposition leader felt’ in dealing the sexual allegations that had been levellled against him. 

 Shorten was accused of rape by a woman who claimed the former Labor leader assaulted her in 1986 during a Young Labor conference in Portarlington, near Geelong, Victoria. 

Christian Porter faces the press pack in Perth as he denies the sexual assault allegations

Christian Porter faces the press pack in Perth as he denies the sexual assault allegations

No charges were ever laid against the former Labor leader and on August 21, 2014, he released a brief statement confirming police had dropped their investigation into the claims.

‘I will not go into the details, except to say that the allegation was untrue and abhorrent,’ Mr Shorten said at a press conference.  

Approached by Daily Mail Australia, Mr Shorten declined to comment on the remarks of both Ms Irvine and Mr Porter. 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk