News, Culture & Society

Birmingham gang dubbed Mug Squad jailed for 30 plus years

A drug gang known as the ‘Mug Squad’ has been jailed for more than 30 years after killing a terrified man who fell 30ft to his death while they stormed his flat.  

Anthony Wellington, 50, slipped as he tried to climb out of his second floor window after hearing the three thugs outside.

The victim, a drug user, was targeted in a revenge attack after he robbed a dealer working for the gang on March 7 this year.

He desperately tried to flee when the Birmingham-based group, who were hooded, turned up at his home later that evening.

Furhaad Mahmood

Mohammed Nadeem was jailed for more than 11 years (left) while another gang member Furhaad Mahmood was jailed for nine years and 11 months (right) 

Mohammed Nadeem, 34, was jailed for eleven-and-a-half years, Rizwan Yaqub, 32, was jailed for ten years and nine months and Furhaad Mahmood, 24, received a sentence of nine years and 11 months.

Waqar Ahmed, 24, of Birmingham, who also took part in the attack but was not a gang member, was jailed for nine years and five months.

All four men had previously admitted manslaughter.

Mark Heywood, prosecuting, told Birmingham Crown Court: ‘It is impossible to say whether Mr Wellington crawled out head first or whether he tried to go out feet first.

‘Whichever way he did he must have lost his balance, falling head first on to the pavement.

‘He suffered head injuries that were irrevocable. He was pronounced dead at the scene.’

Furhaad Mahmood

Waqar Ahmed

Furhaad Mahmood, 24, (left) received a sentence of nine years and 11 months. Waqar Ahmed, 24, (right) took part in the attack but was not a gang member

Mr Heywood said the attackers broke down Mr Wellington’s front door but the victim had already gone out of the window.

He added: ‘It is not clear how many went in. The extent of the damage inside the flat suggests that it was very likely two at least.

‘He readily understood the degree of threat that he was being faced with. He must have feared the consequences of being caught in that room by those trying to get through the door would have been severe indeed.’

Passing sentence, Judge Paul Farrer QC, said: ‘Mr Wellington was plainly terrified and resorted to climbing out of a window.

‘He fell to the ground approximately eight and a half metres below.’

‘This was intended to be a punishment attack so as to reassert the gang’s authority and deter others from targeting the gang in future.’


Comments are closed.