A Texas police officer’s body camera captured the rescue of a family of seven from their burning home over the weekend.
The video from Seagoville Police Officer Sam Click’s camera recorded him spotting and arriving at the burning home shortly before 2am Saturday while on patrol.
Click is heard asking for backup but sees the fire is spreading into the home off Casa Grande Drive in suburban Dallas and decides to take immediate action, having concluded that he could not stand idly by waiting for firefighters to arrive.
Seagoville, Texas, police officer Sam Click was out on patrol Saturday when he spotted a home being consumed by flames
Instead of waiting for firefighters to arrive, Click decided to jump into action
The homeowner’s brother-in-law, Jeremy Giblaint (pictured), aided Click with the rescue
Joined by neighbor Jeremy Giblaint, Click broke into the backdoor of the burning duplex unit attached to Giblaint’s, awakened the man’s brother-in-law and went room-to-room, waking up the sleeping children.
The youngest of the six children that Click and Giblaint carried out of the burning hose was just eight months old. The oldest was 10 years old.
Seagoville police say no one was injured. The mother of the children was working a night shift as a home health aide at the time of the fire.
Giblaint and Click were able to break into the duplex and wake up his brother-in-law
The pair went room-to-room, waking up a half-dozen sleeping children, ranging in afe form eight months to 10 years. No injuries were reported
Click (right) is pictured walking outside the house after the firefighters’ arrival
Click’s police chief praised the officer for going above and beyond the call of duty
The family who lost their home in the fire later thanked Click for saving everyone
‘It takes a special kind of person to realize you may die to help protect somebody and not a lot of people would do that,’ Giblaint told CBS DFW.
Seagoville Police Chief Ray Caverly praised officer Click or going above and beyond the call of duty and described his actions as ‘amazing.’
‘I was just at the right place, at the right time and I just had to take action,’ Click said of his decision to entering the burning house.
Giblanic said he fire investigators have determined that a faulty dryer inside the garage sparked the fire.
The Red Cross has stepped in to provide the displaced family with food and clothing. They are now staying with family.