Boris Johnson says the whole country ‘wishes Harry and Meghan the very best for the future’ after they step back from royal duties
- Johnson, at a summit in Berlin, said whole country wishes the royal couple well
- He added that the royal family will ‘find a way forward’ after the shock departure
- Last night’s statement from Queen said the couple will ‘not use their HRH titles’
Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Sunday the whole country wishes the Duke and Duchess of Sussex ‘the very best for the future’ after they stepped back from royal duties.
Speaking from Berlin, where Mr Johnson is attending a summit on Libya, he said the royal family will ‘find a way forward’ after the shock departure of the royal couple.
He told Sky News: ‘I think the whole country will want to join in wishing them the very best for the future.’
Boris Johnson, left, and German Chancellor Angela Merkle, right, enter the hall during the Conference on Libya in Berlin, Germany, today
Last night’s statement from the Queen said Harry and Meghan will ‘not use their HRH titles’, as they look to forge a new life in North America.
Mr Johnson added: ‘As I said before … I was sure that the royal family, which has been around a very long time, will find a way forward.’
In her statement, the Queen said: ‘Following many months of conversations and more recent discussions, I am pleased that together we have found a constructive and supportive way forward for my grandson and his family.
‘Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family.
‘I recognise the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life.
‘I want to thank them for all their dedicated work across this country, the Commonwealth and beyond, and am particularly proud of how Meghan has so quickly become one of the family.
The couple (pictured in London last week), who will be known as Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, will stop carrying out royal duties from the spring
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are no longer to use their HRH titles and will repay £2.4million of taxpayer’s money spent on renovating their Berkshire home, the couple have announced, as talks about their future roles concluded. Pictured is the Queen’s statement
‘It is my whole family’s hope that today’s agreement allows them to start building a happy and peaceful new life.’
A statement from Buckingham Palace read: ‘The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are grateful to Her Majesty and the Royal Family for their ongoing support as they embark on the next chapter of their lives.
‘As agreed in this new arrangement, they understand that they are required to step back from royal duties, including official military appointments.
‘They will no longer receive public funds for royal duties. With the Queen’s blessing, the Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations.
‘While they can no longer formally represent the Queen, the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty.
And a statement from Buckingham Palace (pictured) read: ‘The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are grateful to Her Majesty and the Royal Family for their ongoing support as they embark on the next chapter of their lives’
‘The Sussexes will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have shared their wish to repay Sovereign Grant expenditure for the refurbishment of Frogmore Cottage, which will remain their UK family home.
‘Buckingham Palace does not comment on the details of security arrangements. There are well established independent processes to determine the need for publicly funded security.
‘This new model will take effect in the Spring of 2020.’