This is our take on the popular tasty treat, a crowd-pleasing classic. A béchamel sauce makes it creamy and delicious, and then we add a rich, salty flavour with roasted mushrooms. This dish is moreish, indulgent and healthy(ish), and makes a great main course or side for a BBQ.
1 head of broccoli
1 red onion
2 tbsp olive oil
8 portobello mushrooms (about 325g)
700ml plant-based milk
70g dairy-free butter
55g plain flour
2 tsp onion powder
1½ tsp garlic powder
2 tsp English mustard
4 tbsp nutritional yeast
40g dairy-free cheese, grated
1¼ tsp salt, plus a little extra
¾ tsp black pepper, plus a little extra
50g panko breadcrumbs
salad leaves, to serve, optional
FOR THE MARINADE
5 tbsp soy sauce
20ml maple syrup
20ml apple cider vinegar
20ml olive oil
Preheat oven to 180C fan (200C/gas 6) | Line 2 baking trays | Large saucepan of salted water on a high heat | Medium saucepan on a medium heat | 20cm x 30cm lasagne dish
- Cut the broccoli into roughly 2.5cm florets and cubes (trim the stalks and use the soft parts). Peel and roughly chop the onion into 1cm chunks. Lay both the onion and broccoli on one of the lined baking trays, drizzle with the 2 tablespoons of olive oil and lightly season with salt and pepper. Put the tray on the top shelf of the preheated oven.
- Cut the mushrooms into 1cm chunks. Put the ingredients for the marinade into a bowl and combine with a fork. Add the mushroom pieces to the marinade and stir to coat. Spread the mushrooms over the second lined baking tray and put this in the oven on the shelf below the broccoli and onions. Set the timer for 15 minutes, by which time all the veggies should be golden brown. Remove both trays and increase the oven temperature to 220C fan (240C/gas 9).
- While the vegetables are roasting, add the macaroni to the pan of boiling salted water and cook until al dente, following the instructions on the packet. Drain and tip into the lasagne dish.
- Meanwhile, warm the plant-based milk in the microwave. Put the dairy-free butter in the medium saucepan and stir with a wooden spoon until it melts. Turn the heat right down and gradually add the flour to the pan, stirring vigorously until you have a doughy paste. Gradually pour in the warm plant-based milk, stirring all the time until you have a thick, creamy sauce. Add the onion powder, garlic powder, mustard, nutritional yeast, dairy-free cheese, 1¼ teaspoons salt and ¾ teaspoon pepper and stir into the sauce. Keep stirring until the sauce thickens to the consistency of custard.
- Add the roasted vegetables and sauce to the pasta and mix so that everything is well covered. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top, season with salt and pepper and put the dish in the oven for 5 minutes to warm through and crisp up the breadcrumbs. Remove from the oven and serve with a small side salad, if you like.