Bourke Street Trolley Man is charged with string of offences after handing himself into police
- Homeless hero who handed himself into police charged with a string of offences
- Michael Rogers was wanted by police for crimes relating to burglary and theft
- He became a national sensation when footage surfaced of him facing a terrorist
- He rammed a trolley into the knife-wielding Somali man lunging at police officers
The homeless man who was hailed a hero for attempting to help police subdue the Bourke Street terrorist has been charged with a string of offences after he handed himself into police.
Michael Rogers became a national sensation when he used a trolley cart to ram knife-wielding Hassan Khalif Shire Ali after his stabbing rampage in Melbourne’s CBD last Friday.
He had previously vowed to ‘do the right thing’ and hand himself into police after it was revealed that he was wanted on burglary charges.
A video circulated online of Mr Rogers attempting to try and stop Hassan Khalif Shire Ali, 30, as the attacker repeatedly lunged at police officers with a knife
A Victoria Police spokesperson confirmed to Daily Mail Australia that Michael Rogers, 46, presented himself at a police station and remains in custody
It came after Melbourne woman Donna Stolzenberg set up a GoFundMe page for Rogers, which raised more than $140,000.
A Victoria Police spokesperson confirmed to Daily Mail Australia that the 46-year-old presented himself at a police station and remains in custody.
Authorities were looking to question Mr Rogers over a string of alleged offences in the Melbourne CBD and St Kilda areas – as well as a breach of bail conditions.
Australia’s most famous homeless man helped police take down the Bourke Street terrorist by pushing a trolley into him
More than 4,000 people have donated to the online fundraising effort since it was launched
Police confirmed that a man had been charged with two counts of burglary, two of theft and committing an indictable offence while on bail.
He is due to appear at Melbourne Magistrates Court on Saturday.
In a statement to Daily Mail Australia, Mr Rogers previously said he had ‘contacted police and would like to do the right thing’.
He said the offences were quite old and ‘wants to do what’s in his best interests’.
Ms Stolzenberg told Daily Mail Australia Rogers repeatedly called police to negotiate his surrender after the news broke that he was wanted by police.
‘So far they haven’t called him back. He has called them again. Now trying a third time,’ she said.
Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.