A former WBA heavyweight world champion who famously snacked a pre-bout ‘sausage roll’ claims he was paid less than a tenth than Paul Gallen for the fight.
Lucas Browne lasted less than two minutes before he was knocked out in the first round by the former NRL star turned professional boxer in their showdown earlier this year.
Browne, 42, went into the bout as the more fancied opponent.
He recently claimed on the Outspoken Show podcast boxers in Australia get paid ‘f*** all’ unless they’re a big name like Tim Tszyu or a former footy star like Gallen.
Browne said he was paid a measly $100,000 compared to the $1.2 million pocketed by his opponent.
‘Unless you’re someone like a Tim Tszyu who has a name or a footballer like Paul Gallen, you get absolutely ‘f*** all,’ Lucas Browne (pictured) told the Outspoken Show podcast
‘I got $100,000 for the Paul Gallen fight, he got $1.2 million,’ the fighter known as ‘Big Daddy’ said.
‘So that shows you, as the former world champion, the only ever Australian heavyweight champion and I get $100,000 as opposed to $1.2 million for a footballer!’
‘Most of my fights in Australia, apart from the Gallen fight, every other fight have all been under $25,000, 90 per cent have been under 10 grand, so that gives you an indication of how s*** I get paid.’
Moments earlier, Browne claimed he will be paid just $5,000 for his upcoming bout against fellow Australian Faiga Opelu in Darwin on December 4.
‘Unless you’re one of the big boys, you’re not getting anything,’ he said.
‘When it comes to Australian sports, unless you’re someone like a Tim Tszyu who has a name or a footballer like Paul Gallen, you get absolutely ‘f*** all.
‘Like, my next fight I’m fighting in three weeks is five grand.’
Former NRL star Paul Gallen (pictured with wife Anne) was paid $1.2 million for his bout against Lucas Browne earlier this year. His opponent pocketed less than a tenth of that amount
He was also asked what advice he would give to a promising 18-year-old fighter.
‘You have to fight in Australia and get your name out there but you have to go overseas because no one really cares about anything overseas if you’re just in Australia,’ Browne replied.
The boilover was one of three losses Browne recorded in his 32-bout career.
Gallen, 39, demolished his more fancied opponent in the first round of their showdown in Wollongong in April.
A shell-shocked Browne was dropped twice in the opening round, with Gallen landing a series of monster strikes to the head.
Seconds later, Gallen pinned his rival on the ropes, before delivering three more brutal punches.
Television cameras captured Browne devouring what looked a sausage roll moment before getting into the ring.
Paul Gallen (right) stunned the boxing world when he knocked out Lucas Browne in the first round
Browne later insisted he was eating an apricot oat bar.
‘So I’ve just realised wtf everyone was talking about when they were saying you fat c*** for eating a sausage roll while in the change room before the fight,’ Browne posted afterwards.
‘It was the apricot oat bar.’
Gallen’s next bout in the ring is against Manly Sea Eagles forward Josh Aloiai in Newcastle on December 10.
It will be Gallen’s first fight since his only professional loss against Justice Huni in June and could be his last appearance in the ring unless dual rugby international Sonny Bill Williams accepts the challenge to fight him.
Lucas Browne was mocked for devouring what looked like a ‘sausage roll’ before his loss against Paul Gallen
‘The reason this all started was to fight Sonny Bill,’ Gallen said.
‘I can tell you now – and I’ve said this privately to a lot of people over the last couple of years and now I’m telling you publicly – it will come to a point in 12 months or two years time when he’ll say, ‘Let’s fight’.
‘I’m telling you now, it won’t happen. I’m going to be past it pretty soon and that’s what disappoints me.