News, Culture & Society

Boy collapses after being bitten by a snake while walking on a wooden path at Stockton beach

Boy, 12, is bitten by a venomous snake while walking at a beach before being rushed to hospital unconscious

  • A young boy has collapsed after being bitten by a venomous snake on a beach
  • Jake Ferguson, 12, was walking down a foot path when he stepped on a snake 
  • The brown venomous snake which bit the young boy has not yet been identified 
  • He is undergoing toxicology tests in hospital to identify the snake which bit him 

A young boy has collapsed after being bitten by a venomous snake while walking from a beach. 

Jake Ferguson, 12, was walking down a wooden path at Stockton beach, northern New South Wales, when he stepped on a sleeping brown snake. 

The snake slithered over Jake’s foot, who was pierced with venom which spread through his body leading to his collapse.

 

A young boy has collapsed after being bitten by a venomous snake while walking from a beach

‘It must’ve nipped Jake but we didn’t think it had,’ Jake’s grandmother Jane Ferguson told 7News.  

The brown venomous snake which bit the young boy has not yet been identified.

‘Brown. It was very brown,’ she said.  

Beachgoers who spotted Jake unconscious compressed the snake bites with a bandage before more help arrived. 

‘The first aid that was applied on scene by bystanders was exactly what needed to be done,’ New South Wales Ambulance’s Andrew Stainson said. 

A care flight helicopter arrived shortly to provide anti-venom medication.

Jake remains in a serious but stable condition in hospital and is undergoing toxicology tests to identify what sort of snake had bitten him.  

Jake remains in a serious but stable condition in hospital and is undergoing toxicology tests to identify what sort of snake had bitten him

Jake remains in a serious but stable condition in hospital and is undergoing toxicology tests to identify what sort of snake had bitten him

Advertisement



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk