Terrified Travelodge guests flee at 2am as inferno engulfs west London hotel with army of 100 firefighters battling blaze that was sparked in bins area
- Guests were forced to flee the hotel after fire alarms went off at 2am Wednesday
- 100 firefighters and at least 15 fire engines are at the Travelodge in Brentford
- Dramatic footage shows the huge plumes of smoke rising from the hotel’s roof
Terrified Travelodge guests were forced to flee the hotel in the early hours of the morning after an inferno that began in the bins area engulfed the hotel.
At least 100 firefighters and 15 fire engines are at the hotel in Brentford, west London after the blaze started at the back of the five-storey building and spread to the guest area.
Around 160 guests and staff have been evacuated from the building and there are no reports of any injuries.
At least 15 fire engines at the hotel in Brentford, London , after the blaze started in the early hours of the morning which started in a bin room at the rear of the building and spread to hotel
Dramatic footage taken from the scene shows flames sending huge plumes of smoke into the sky
Dramatic footage taken from the scene shows flames sending huge plumes of smoke into the sky.
One guest at the hotel said he was woken at 2.15am by the sound of fire alarms going off.
Austin Tant, 23, told the Mirror that the fire started in a shed at the back of the building where the rubbish is stored before spreading up the hotel to the roof.
He said: ‘At 2.15am the fire alarms started going off, we thought someone was smoking in the room. It started at the corner of the building. It started at the shed and then moved up the cladding.
‘As far as I am aware there is no one injured. Everyone was out before it spread. People here are cold and annoyed, we are all just here in our t-shirts.
A spokesperson for the Brentford fire station said: ‘The whole of in a single storey bin room on the ground floor is alight. The fire spread to an adjacent hotel of five floors.
‘Firefighters are carrying out a systematic search of the hotel. The Brigade’s Control took seventeen 999 calls to the visible blaze.
‘Firefighters carried out a systematic search of the hotel. Around 160 guests and staff evacuated the building. There were no reports of any injuries.
‘A rest centre has been set up by the local authority. Crews are working hard in challenging conditions to bring the fire under control.’
Fire crews from Chiswick and surround fire stations are also at the scene.