Chilling haul of 180 deadly weapons seized in FOUR DAYS: Britain’s gang epidemic is laid bare as police confiscate 20 samurai swords, 19 knuckledusters and a NINJA STAR
- ROCU took 180 weapons off the streets in the North West of England
- Lancashire and Manchester had the highest number of weapons seized
- Cumbria and North Wales also took part in the police crackdown
- Campaigners claimed knife crime in Liverpool has risen by 130 per cent
A haul of deadly blades, swords and knuckledusters have been seized by police during a four-day crackdown on knife crime.
The North West Regional Organised Crime Unit (ROCU) took 180 weapons off the streets, with 33 and 17 gathered up in Merseyside and Cheshire respectively from December 2 to 5.
In Merseyside, 19 knuckledusters, six batons, five swords and three knives were seized.
In Cheshire, there were seven knives, three swords, three knuckledusters, three batons and a throwing star, sometimes called a ninja star – a Japanese type of circular dagger.
Lancashire and Greater Manchester Police forces had the highest number of weapons seized, with 37 and 74 respectively.
This was the haul of blades, swords and knuckledusters seized by police during a week-long crackdown on knife crime
The North West Regional Organised Crime Unit (ROCU) took 180 weapons off the streets, with 33 and 17 gathered up in Merseyside and Cheshire respectively from December 2 to 5. Although there appears to be these number of weapons displayed on the table, police could not confirm the exact amount of arms seized during the week
Left, police seized three knives in Merseyside in crackdown to combat crime in the northwest. Right, there were three knuckledusters seized in the police blitz
Although there appears to be these number of weapons displayed on the table, police could not confirm the exact amount of arms seized during the week.
During the week, more than 100 ‘cease and desist’ letters were issued across the northwest, which aim to educate potential buyers of illegal knives and discourage further offending.
Others police forces taking part in the blitz were Cumbria and North Wales.
They worked with the Border Force Agency and Royal Mail.
Detective Superintendent Ryan Davies, from the North West ROCU, said: ‘Thanks to this intelligence-led, coordinated operation a significant number of knives and weapons have been seized and won’t make it to the streets of our region, where they can cause serious harm.
Mr Davies said this operation is a powerful example of how collaborative working is making a difference in the fight against serious and organised crime in the northwest.
Earlier this month, campaigners claimed knife crime in Liverpool has risen by 130 per cent since Conservatives came into power in 2010
He warned anyone who is thinking about buying knives or weapons either online or by any other means from overseas.
‘You are committing an offence by bringing them into the country.
‘You face the full force of the law if you do so,’ he added.
Earlier this month, campaigners claimed knife crime in Liverpool has risen by 130 per cent since Conservatives came into power in 2010.
According to an investigation by our sister paper, The Mirror, they said the city had lost 84 council employed youth workers – cutting them from 110 to just 26 – within the last decade.
The youth service budget was also slashed by more than two thirds from £6,431,000 in 2009 to £2,023,000 in 2019, linked to hundreds of incidents involving knives across Liverpool.
Merseyside and Cheshire Metropolitan Police has been contacted for comment.